Vintage Mustang Forums banner

181 - 200 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
I cannot post multiple photos from my iPad.
You can if you do the html codes yourself..... I do that. Add the codes yourself instead of hitting the image button.

Nice build btw

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Getting ready to order my gauges and accessory controls and I'd appreciate some input from the forum members.

I'm am leaning towards Dakota Digital gauges with a GPS speedometer. I have an Ididit steering column that is set up with a GM style cruise control buttons built into the turn signal. I think I will go with the Dakota Digital cruise vice the Ididit as I think it would fit with the gauge package more easily. It is supposed to plug right into the Ididit column with no poblems. Any opinions/experience with Dakota Digital cruise vs. Ididit? Also thinking of installing the digital compass, outside temp, tire pressure monitoring system and convenience package. The convenience package keeps the accessories and lights on for a preset amount of time after stopping the car like a modern car does.

Here is where I am. I am torn between the gauge styles that Dakota Digital sells. Anyone have any experience with any of them?

1965 66 Ford Mustang VHX Dakota Digital | eBay

1965 1966 Ford Mustang Billet Dash Gauges Instruments Dakota Digital Black VHX | eBay

DAKOTA DIGITAL 64 65 Ford Falcon & Mustang Analog Dash Gauge System VHX-64F-FAL

I am leaning towards the 6 gauge system with a the separate Tach. that I linked in the middle. I also like that it has two separate digital information read outs. The interior I am going after is what I call an updated classic style. I want it to look like a high end '66 Mustang. Leather wrapped dash, 1 piece MTF head liner covered in vinyl, Pony style door panels. Nice Leather wrapped center console with a double DIN stereo installed. AC vents are billet. My seats will be Distinctive Industries Touring II in black leather pony style with head rests. The rear seat will be covered to match the front. I have a flaming river waterfall steering wheel. The dash, doors, steering column and any exposed hard surfaces are all painted body color. What do ya'll think would be the best choice for the gauges?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am also thinking about what gauges to get though I am still a bit away from having to decide. I had not seen the last dash you linked, I Make Oil, the analog one. That looks nice. The previous owner had bought all new pony interior so not for me.
I like the idea of the 6 gauge, I like the electronics, gear indicator, cruise etc with the Dakota Digital but I am not sure of design of that middle link. If it was plain white like the analog gauge, that would be for me.
Not sure on the top linked gauge set. It might look a bit busy.
I have not seen any of these in real life and any I sure look good, depends on what style you are after. I also have an ididit steering column and I am interested in how your choice of cruise control works out.
Post on what you decide.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
I have pretty much decided on the middle gauges in carbon fiber with blue lights. I'm going with a GPS speedometer and the Dakota digital cruise control. I'm plan on ordering this week.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
The car is moving along. All of the body gaps are finished. The interior is all painted, also under the hood, door jambs, and under the trunk. The exterior is primed and sanded. The car should go into the booth for final exterior paint next week. Once it's all finished up I'll post pics. Then it's on to assembly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We don't believe you if you do not post pictures.. :)
What size gap are ending up with round the doors and the hood / trunk?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Still not fully painted. The shop got busy. Hopefully soon. Here are a few updates.

Fuel cell in. Beginning to plan the trunk layout. Spoke to my interior guy and parts collection has begun. Should be able to get busy as soon as Corey hands it over.

Steering column is installed. The wheel on it was only supposed to be a temporary thing until final assembly but it's kind of growing on me. My intention is to install a Flaming river waterfall but I'm not so sure now.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #200 (Edited)
Thanks, but I hope I don't need them. I thought about it but I had already installed a new stiff front cross member with the IRS front suspension. Reinforced the front sub frame(which actually I guess does the same thing), added Tin man Sub frame connectors which weld into the factory sub frames and completely welded the entire sub frame/sub frame connectors. Removed the leaf springs, added 4 link suspension and reinforced the rear sub frame to support the 4 links and give additional strength at the rear. This car is super stiff all the way around. I've had it on 4 jack stands with both doors open. Removed one of the jack stands and rock it on two opposite jack stands with zero flex. Both doors could open and close with no body flex at all.

181 - 200 of 238 Posts