Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the midst of rewiring my 67 Mustang and I recently took the old harness out. As I am installing the new one I noticed a mysterious flasher bolted to the windshield wiper motor bracket at the very top of the dash. I'm sure I took the wires off of it when I pulled my old harness but my memory doesn't recall it. The part number stamped on it is

AUTOLITE: C7AB-10B924-B2

I googled it and got some results, some said it was used as a seat belt warning relay although I don't have any indicator in my instrument cluster for that feature. I also read something about it being used as part of the brake switch? What does it do? What wires run to it? Do I still need it? (Using a AAW modified chassis wiring harness kit)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
There are 2 flashers in the '67, one for turn signals and one for hazard lights is it one of those. I can't remember which was bolted to the wiper motor and which was bolted to the back of the dash. I didn't see any flasher for my seatbelt warning light, I think it it just lighs up for X seconds after you start the car?

You can figure out which one it is by identifying the wire colors and finding it in the schematics chart:
http://hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/wiring/wiring1967.htm
Jon

·
Registered
734 Posts
That is the Seat Belt Warning Relay, it is the Relay that Illuminates the Reminder Light for Deluxe Seat Belts. . The 'Deluxe Seat Belts with Reminder Light' was an Option in 1967. The Light Mounted at the Bottom of Dash below Ignition Key with a Chrome Square Bezel and Red Lens. If part of the 'Visual Check Light Panel' it will be a group of 4 Lights(Also Park Brake, Low Fuel and Door Ajar) at the Center Dash above Radio on NON-A/C Cars or a Center Console was Required on A/C cars with Visual Check with the 4 Lights surrounding the Console Front Glove Box. Is your Relay a Round Cylinder like a Turn Signal Flasher, or Rectangular? I have seen both

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
There was an optional seat belt warning light in 67. Surprisingly common, but the relay that lights it is long obsolete. There is, or was, a functional replacement. IIRC, it lights the "BELT" light below the ignition switch.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I just removed my wiper motor assembly yesterday and saw that exact same relay. I do remember my car having that small chrome housing for the seat belt reminder light. My car was factory ordered with seat belts and that light was part of it. It had been disconnected by one of the PO's so no wires ran to it. Glad I saw this thread.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info from everyone thanks!

That is the Seat Belt Warning Relay, it is the Relay that Illuminates the Reminder Light for Deluxe Seat Belts. . The 'Deluxe Seat Belts with Reminder Light' was an Option in 1967. The Light Mounted at the Bottom of Dash below Ignition Key with a Chrome Square Bezel and Red Lens. If part of the 'Visual Check Light Panel' it will be a group of 4 Lights(Also Park Brake, Low Fuel and Door Ajar) at the Center Dash above Radio on NON-A/C Cars or a Center Console was Required on A/C cars with Visual Check with the 4 Lights surrounding the Console Front Glove Box. Is your Relay a Round Cylinder like a Turn Signal Flasher, or Rectangular? I have seen both
My relay is round like a turn signal flasher, that's why I was a bit confused about what it was.

Do you have any pictures of this "Visual Check Light Panel"? My car had factory in-dash A/C so I should have this panel near my glovebox?

I never recall my car having any of this...weird. I'm going to go check and see if there is anything that appears to be missing.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
My relay is round like a turn signal flasher, that's why I was a bit confused about what it was.

Do you have any pictures of this "Visual Check Light Panel"? My car had factory in-dash A/C so I should have this panel near my glovebox?

I never recall my car having any of this...weird. I'm going to go check and see if there is anything that appears to be missing.
There was an optional warning light.

There was also an option that had four lights.

There were only 2 ways to get the comfort convenience group. On non-AC cars, they were mounted in the small panel above the radio. On AC cars, they were mounted on either side of the "garage door" on the console. AC cars with no console could not have it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have a 67 seat belt light. I believe what you think is a flasher is a timer, and maybe a buzzer / timer. I never hooked mine up, I'm waiting for a $1,000,000 offer on it so I can retire.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was an optional warning light.

There was also an option that had four lights.

There were only 2 ways to get the comfort convenience group. On non-AC cars, they were mounted in the small panel above the radio. On AC cars, they were mounted on either side of the "garage door" on the console. AC cars with no console could not have it.
I must have not had the convenience group, I don't see any provisions for a cluster of lights on the center console.

So it was an "add-on" feature? In other words it wasn't integral to the dash it just bolted/screwed underneath the ignition switch? I guess the PO tossed it. How did it work? Was there a sensor in the seat belt or did it just illuminate for a few seconds when you first start the car?

I have a 67 seat belt light. I believe what you think is a flasher is a timer, and maybe a buzzer / timer. I never hooked mine up, I'm waiting for a $1,000,000 offer on it so I can retire.
Not a bad idea! :lol: I guess I'll hold onto mine you never know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts