Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
VMF Ambassador
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting all ready to stick in my new Unisteer power r&p, and it just occurred to me that I STILL have no idea where this goes. It's a spring around a foot long that goes from a bracket at the clutch fork to the crossmember. I know it doesn't go there, since some moron decided the best way to attach it to the crossmember was with a hose clamp! :loco:

Here's some pics of it:

It looks like some kind of return spring, and is shown in the '66 Shop Manual, but they never bother to show what it connects to. I know it connects to a bracket of some sort, but I'm not sure where, in what direction, or even if that's the right spring! :shrug: Can someone take a look under their manual car and tell me where this spring goes?

Note: The car used to be an automatic, so it's very unlikely that the bracket would be anywhere on the car. I'm going to assume that the PO changed it over, couldn't find / didn't care to find a bracket for the spring, and thus lashed it to the crossmember.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
It's supposed to be attached to a pair of holes in the backside of the shock tower. Both small, one round, one oval. If you weren't looking for them, you'd never notice them.

BTW, that connection between the lower rod and equalizer was also courtesy of the hose clamp guy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
mysterious spring

That looks like the return spring that goes from the clutch pedal to the brake/clutch pedal support. There are also two plastic pieces that go with it. If you have a centerforce diaphram clutch you won't need the return spring.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
That looks like the return spring that goes from the clutch pedal to the brake/clutch pedal support. There are also two plastic pieces that go with it. If you have a centerforce diaphram clutch you won't need the return spring.
Naw, the assist spring on the pedal is MUCH heavier than the one in her photo. The spring she showed us is actually the correct release-lever-to-shock-tower spring, albeit a little beat up.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, this spring is attached at the clutch fork in the engine bay. Definitely not as heavy as the clutch pedal return spring too. I appreciate it though :)

22GT, is there any chance you could send me a picture of the place where it's supposed to hook up? What exactly is the spring supposed to do in the first place? Will my new R&P interfere with it in its correct location?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
22GT, is there any chance you could send me a picture of the place where it's supposed to hook up? What exactly is the spring supposed to do in the first place? Will my new R&P interfere with it in its correct location?
a) I'll look into it. I was planning on stopping by Glazier/Nolan tomorrow on the way home. Maybe they can put something up.

b) The spring pulls the lever forward against the lower pushrod. Without the spring, the rod can easily fall off.

c) Dunno about the R&P. Different brands have different characteristics. I've seen a few, but never installed one.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, that'd be great, thanks a ton.

Definitely need the spring then! Maybe I'll replace it while I've got it unhooked on one end since it's so important and is a little worn. I guess I'll find out on the R&P, but if for some reason it gets interfered with, I'm sure I could find a way to hook it to something in that general direction to keep the pushrod from falling off. If all else fails, I could do as the PO did and hose clamp it back to something else! :p I kid, I kid.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey Kelly, look at the location of the motor mount bolts (the ends closer to the firewall). Directly below the outermost bolt of the three are the holes, they are shaped like an exclamation mark (!). Hope this helps (kind of hard to explain) Very nice car as well! kip
edit; A previous owner of my fb, converted it from auto to a 4spd. I guess he couldn't find the holes either so he drilled a hole in the crossmember to hook it up! LOL!

·
Registered
20,998 Posts
I just did a 4 speed swap on my 66. I had the same question as to where the spring attaches to. If you look just below the lower control arm, you'll see what looks like an upside down asterisk, it slips into there. I have a picture some place, I'll post it if I find it

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you are concerned about retaining the throw out bearing arm onto the rod that connects to the z-bar the you could fit a smaller spring from the throw out bearing arm to the bottom of the z-bar next to where the rod mounts to it. My z-bar had a hole drilled in it already and it appears in your picture that your z-bar has a similiar hole. This will hold the rod in place. Pic #1. I also put the stock spring that goes from from the top of the z-bar to the firewall retaining clip. This spring helps to pull the clutch linkage and pedal assembly back to its stock location. This is on my '70 and I am useing a TCP rack and it does not cause any interferance at all. I'm not sure what year yours is.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
VMF Ambassador
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the descriptions guys, next time I'm near my car I'll check out the holes under the engine mount. Sounds like it won't be too hard to find!

Cruzzar, you're saying that a second option would be to get a shorter spring and essentially run it the same way as the push rod so that it holds it in place and retains it? Sounds like a good backup plan! I'll check to see if my Z-bar has a hole or if it's just the shadows in the picture. Hard to get a good shot of it since my headers really get in the way.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Thanks for the descriptions guys, next time I'm near my car I'll check out the holes under the engine mount. Sounds like it won't be too hard to find!
Your 65 won't have the late 66 spring bracket at the firewall that matches the short lower spring, or even the slot for the bracket.
The good news is I talked to the folks at G/N, and they said they'd put up a photo of the forward anchor point of the spring for you.

This photo is from below the driver's feet, looking forward. The hook end of the spring goes through the large slot, and the tip comes out the round hole.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perfect, thank you so much! I'm sure I'll be able to find the holes easily after this. I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It is a assist spring it makes it so that the trowout bearing seats at the base of the throwout guide on the transmition. And helps push your cluch pedal back as well. but yea i have a manual transmition and have a assist spring but i dont cant remember were it goes and i deffinetely know that it wasnt held on with a hose clamp ha. but yes that is the correct spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's supposed to be attached to a pair of holes in the backside of the shock tower. Both small, one round, one oval. If you weren't looking for them, you'd never notice them.

BTW, that connection between the lower rod and equalizer was also courtesy of the hose clamp guy.
NICE COMEBACK, CLASS!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts