Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Fastback 2+2 289 automatic
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anybody identify this bolt? I think it came off my 65 fastback 289 c4 during a engine build but i cant remember exactly where it goes.
Automotive tire Font Tints and shades Auto part Nozzle

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Yep. Passenger side about 3/4 to the rear.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,070 Posts
I agree, but surprisingly good shape for an exhaust manifold bolt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exhaust header, the second set of threads is so you can mount a heat riser to the air cleaner.
Air cleaner has a temp valve, when it is cold, a door moves, sucking heat from the exhaust manifold riser mounted using this bolt.
Mystery solved. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Manufactured in Akron Ohio, 27 August 1965.

It was made on the 3rd machine, 08:56 AM, one of 8,000 made that day.

Tool Operator was named Donny D'Bitetto, aged 43.
Actually, Donny was only 23 and dating Marge Hampton at the time. Marge was in Quality Control on the fastener assembly line and was known to have, "The biggest hair in town!" in the Akron area for her tall, blonde beehive. Donny and Marge were often seen cruising the Akron street scene in Donny's brand new, 1965 Falcon with bright red paint matching Marge's lipstick. Marge liked to turn up the radio; especially when Gerry Lewis and Playboys were singing, "This Diamond Ring".

On a warm, fall evening, Donny proposed to Marge at Chubby's Drive-In . Alas, Marge was not ready to settle down handing Donny the biggest disappointment of his life in front of all his cruising buddies. Emotionally gutted, his work at the factory became spotty putting Marge in the difficult position of having to reject many of Donny's fasteners due to QC issues. Donny continued to spiral downward until the fastener foreman eventually had to let him go resulting in the beautiful, Red Falcon being repossessed.

People stopped seeing Donny around Akron and his whereabouts became a local mystery. Some people said Donny was working on oil rigs up in Alaska in a desperate attempt to flee his sorrow and forget the woman who broke his heart. Others said he went south to Buenos Aires where he was a mechanic specializing in Fords. The Red Falcon changed hands many times over the years with each owner insisting the car was cursed.

Lucky for the OP, Donny produced that exhaust manifold fastener just before proposing to Marge which was at the height of his quality control. Had it been produced only days later, I would have to suggest the OP find another fastener lest it fail to hold tight that exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,070 Posts
Actually, Donny was only 23 and dating Marge Hampton at the time. Marge was in Quality Control on the fastener assembly line and was known to have, "The biggest hair in town!" in the Akron area for her tall, blonde beehive. Donny and Marge were often seen cruising the Akron street scene in Donny's brand new, 1965 Falcon with bright red paint matching Marge's lipstick. Marge liked to turn up the radio; especially when Gerry Lewis and Playboys were singing, "This Diamond Ring".

On a warm, fall evening, Donny proposed to Marge at Chubby's Drive-In . Alas, Marge was not ready to settle down handing Donny the biggest disappointment of his life in front of all his cruising buddies. Emotionally gutted, his work at the factory became spotty putting Marge in the difficult position of having to reject many of Donny's fasteners due to QC issues. Donny continued to spiral downward until the fastener foreman eventually had to let him go resulting in the beautiful, Red Falcon being repossessed.

People stopped seeing Donny around Akron and his whereabouts became a local mystery. Some people said Donny was working on oil rigs up in Alaska in a desperate attempt to flee his sorrow and forget the woman who broke his heart. Others said he went south to Buenos Aires where he was a mechanic specializing in Fords. The Red Falcon changed hands many times over the years with each owner insisting the car was cursed.

Lucky for the OP, Donny produced that exhaust manifold fastener just before proposing to Marge which was at the height of his quality control. Had it been produced only days later, I would have to suggest the OP find another fastener lest it fail to hold tight that exhaust manifold.
I can't wait for the movie version of this to hit the theaters...Well done sir!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, but surprisingly good shape for an exhaust manifold bolt.
I cant remember how this ended up in my parts. I have had long tube tube headers on this car for at least a dozen years. The fastener showed up after I pulled the original motor to have rebuilt. Years ago I took the car and the headers to a muffler shop to have the headers installed and the collector reducers fitted to the exhaust pipes. The tech could of removed it. Or that bolt came of the engine from some where else it wasn't supposed to be is all i can figure. I cant explain why its looks so new.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe
97 Posts

Aaaaaand the creative writing prize for this month goes toooooooo.........

terrific stuff (y)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aaaaaand the creative writing prize for this month goes toooooooo.........

terrific stuff (y)
Now i know the rest of the story! I should frame it up and hang it on the wall.

·
Registered
38,543 Posts

Donny was known to be a real "stud". Marge WAS disappointed when she found out he didn't have the "biggest nuts at the plant" and "bolted" from the altar. From what I understand, the plant foreman "screwed" him over, too. Maybe he had a "hex" on him? For those who find this "thread" somewhat "fasten-ating", I'm sure someone will "ratchet up" the humor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Donny was known to be a real "stud". Marge WAS disappointed when she found out he didn't have the "biggest nuts at the plant" and "bolted" from the altar. From what I understand, the plant foreman "screwed" him over, too. Maybe he had a "hex" on him? For those who find this "thread" somewhat "fasten-ating", I'm sure someone will "ratchet up" the humor.
Laughing my nuts off 🤣

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
you all have been staring at a computer screen waaaay too long!

Reactions: Turnall

·
Registered
784 Posts

EPIC! Love it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts