Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,317 Posts
Better check to see if any oil and coolant are mixing. Could be the intake manifold or timing cover seal. Maybe one or both of the water outlet bolts pass through the housing and into the intake or block in an area exposed to oil and corrosion on the bolt shaft allows it to escape. I'm shooting in the dark, not as familiar with the Cleveland.

·
Registered
37,783 Posts
If you're running traditional ethylene glycol coolant it has an oily consistency and, mixed with dust and dirt, could appear this way.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Have you checked under the valve covers to see if there's foam?... PCV?... Oil breather? Anything in the radiator? Is it overheating? White foam in any of the afore-mentioned areas would indicate you have oil and coolant mixing. Easiest would be the intake gaskets. Worst case is a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you checked under the valve covers to see if there's foam?... PCV?... Oil breather? Anything in the radiator? Is it overheating? White foam in any of the afore-mentioned areas would indicate you have oil and coolant mixing. Easiest would be the intake gaskets. Worst case is a blown head gasket.
No oil in radiator and the oil does not seem to be mixing with the coolant .... Intake gasket leaking down ??

·
Registered
37,783 Posts
I run 50/50 anti freeze chuck could thàt be ?? Or the intake is leaking up in front ??
Now, for legal purposes I have to say "don't try this at home"... I have taken a "sample" of such leaking fluids and touched the tip of my tongue to said "sample". Antifreeze has a distinct sickly-sweet taste. Oil does not.

As far as an intake leak... oil, possible but not common. Coolant, no. No coolant flows into the intake on a Cleveland.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I run 50/50 anti freeze chuck could thàt be ?? Or the intake is leaking up in front ??
Now, for legal purposes I have to say "don't try this at home"... I have taken a "sample" of such leaking fluids and touched the tip of my tongue to said "sample". Antifreeze has a distinct sickly-sweet taste. Oil does not.

As far as an intake leak... oil, possible but not common. Coolant, no. No coolant flows into the intake on a Cleveland.
Alright thank you mate , I'll check the intake and possibly the head gasket ? Wouldn't the car run like crap if there a intake leak or whatever??

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
dont seem like too much to worry about
how is the dizzy O ring seal

are the 2 bypass caps nice and tight

I once has a warped thermostat housing.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Why does everyone run a flex hose from the upper radiator to a Cleveland? :shrug:My car had the same flex hose when I got it.

Anyway, I would suggest cleaning the area with some carb cleaner or brake clean and a small brush. Then see if you can find anything leaking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts