Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove the car on a 35-40 mile road trip yesterday and, after pulling off the freeway, I began to hear an intermittant "clacking" sound from the engine compartment. It was most obvious at idle. At one intersection I got about three consecutive "clacks" and began hearing the typical screech of a slipping belt. I babied it home and examined both the PS pump and the alternator. No suspicious look about either and the belts were both nice and tight. The fluid level in the PS pump was slightly low so I added a little ATF, but I noticed the fluid smelled slightly burnt. I took the car out this morining and ran it hard on the freeway for about 20 miles, but it ran like a dream and I couldn't reproduce the noise. I need to resolve this problem because I've got a pretty full event schedule for the next three months. Does any of this sound familiar? Help!

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you are suspecting the p/s (burnt smell) it could be that you need a p/s oil cooler to stop the oil overheating. This happened to me on my 68.
However, a clacking noise, maybe somewhere in the valve train? sounds like it's happening when the oil's hot.
Good luck.
Jeremy

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I gotta go with the other posters -- My PS pump is currently making a clacking noise. I thought it was the fuel pump at first, but a quick check with the stethoscope revealed it was the PS pump.

G

·
0 Posts
The pump on my '65 did the same thing before it went out... and it went downhill pretty quickly. I took off the belt to get me home and checked it again; had that burnt smell and some bubbling in the fluid. Oh well, all things die eventually. Easy fix though, good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts