Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Ive asked about this mystery plug in my engine compartment last night, but was lacking good pictures of it. Now that I have taken a few that actually show the plug clearly, I thought Id post my question again.
I hope no one is offended.

This is the original thread :
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=1&Board=forum&Number=411499

Anyway, please check out the links to my two pictures. I would appreciate any help on identifying this plug.
On one side it states Made In The USA. Well, thats something at least! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

http://home.t-online.de/home/03920121601/1plug.JPG

http://home.t-online.de/home/03920121601/2plug.JPG

The car is a 66 Hardtop with power steering, no AC.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It's not stock.. someone added it. Maybe for an alarm?

·
Registered
21,379 Posts
I agree, not stock. Maybe a PO use to flat tow it behind a motorhome, ect. and the plug was for the lights

You should put a voltmeter to the prongs and see if there's any juice when the lights are on.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, but wouldnt a plug for additional lights (like a motorhome) be on the back?
I mean I cant really see someone plugging his motorhome to a plug in the engine compartment.
Would be the wrong side of the car! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

As for a alarm system. Umm. Could be a possibility, but I dont really have noticed any
other "mystery parts" . I mean if it was the remains of an alarm system, there must be way more parts than this one. Or the PO just disassembled the whole system and just left this plug? Ummm.

Looks like some POs had their share of fun with the Stang! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As stated, I dont have an AC.
The Vin/Data plate info is correct on that as well (no AC).

If it is an AC plug, for the optional (factroy) AC, shouldnt all/more cars have it?
Or do you think there was once an aftermarket/non factory AC, and that this plug is the only remains of it after some PO took the AC out of the car?

·
Registered
321 Posts
That is definitely a trailer plug. I have one just like it on my truck.

·
Registered
321 Posts
That is definitely a trailer plug. I have one just like it on my truck. It is not a Ford item.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It is a trailer plug! Maybe the p/o put it there for some other device he was running. Not sure what though.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Any evidence of aftermarket fog lamps, like thos old KC lights people used to mount on the bumper or valance in the 80's?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, what an idea! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
I dont really want to imagine that... . /forums/images/icons/wink.gif lol
But then who knows?!

So, after all its seems like most of you think that it is a trailer/truck plug.
Given that, and the fact that it seems to have NO other purpose, I think it would be ok to get rid of that bugger?!?!?
What do you think?

I mean my car is far from being original, and more of a restomod, but Id like to have it as original as possible. And that includes getting rid of useless/non original parts and devices.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, the bumper and valance look ok. Well kind of actually /forums/images/icons/wink.gif , but at least there are no signs that there were fog lamps mounted.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Suppose the PO towed your '66 behind his motorhome/RV. He might want to slave the '66 tail lights and turn signals to his motorhome. In this case the plug would be where it is, in the front of the car. Use a voltmeter to test the various connectors. Look for voltage when your lights are turned on or when your turn signals are active.

G

·
Now this is the most logical and sensible answer ....

by Midlife..

"Maybe the PO trailered the mustang behind his motor home, and that was the way he hooked up the brake and tail-lights? "

Other than - end the speculations and trace the harness to where it hooks up (under the dash, etc) and take a picture of that .... and in a matter of nano seconds....we will be able to unravel this mystery...

as a side thought - that may be a factory mounted harness for the fuel injected paxton supercharged shelby built in early 64 - and there was only one built....
'
in my head!

LOL - Just kiddin.. Take some more pics - a pic is worth a thousand nerds...

Fastlane Ford

1 - 16 of 16 Posts