Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm currently tidying up all the wiring on my 68 hardtop. Below the rear bumper there are 2 lights I can't find on any wiring diagram. They were connected together but had no power source, just and empty connection. Any help would be great.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
10,134 Posts
Somebody stuck a light socket in the hole where a bolt would usually go for a rear bumperette. I think I would get rid of that and replace it with the bumper it or just a smooth top Carriage bolt painted body color.

Reactions: beechkid

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Those holes shouldn’t be there. The bumperette is that piece next to the license plate. It looks like that valance is in E-coat and is not painted. If that’s the case, I’d patch the hole.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those holes shouldn’t be there. The bumperette is that piece next to the license plate. It looks like that valance is in E-coat and is not painted. If that’s the case, I’d patch the hole.
The holes look like they are factory machined with a small key way slot that matches up with the key on the lights housing. The valance is wrapped in matt black vinyl.

·
Premium Member
10,134 Posts
Oh, I do see the bumperette now. My svreen brightness was down a bit. I still think I would fill or cover it and if an amber signal was needed, maybe conceal a little amber LED bar between the bumper and tail lamp bezels, more likely to be seen.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Looks like a 67-68 Mopar sidemarker. I actuall like the style of those, but yeah that is an odd location for one. I bet it is wired up as a turn signal for a legal requirement of amber rear signals. If you do need amber rear turn signals this might be the way I would go.

67-68 Mustang Euro Spec Red/Amber Non Sequential Taillights

Automotive lighting Light Font Visual effect lighting Amber

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,858 Posts
Hi, I'm currently tidying up all the wiring on my 68 hardtop. Below the rear bumper there are 2 lights I can't find on any wiring diagram. They were connected together but had no power source, just and empty connection. Any help would be great. View attachment 855245
The round bezel looks like a side marker light from a 1968 Chrysler product.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 13 of 13 Posts