Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put some free parts out on the for-sale area, (ya I forgot there was a free or trade area).
Thing is, every one who has contacted me either has a cousin/stepbrother/sister etc... that will make contact to get parts.
They just do not smell right to me.
I was expecting people who actually work on these cars.
It is not that I care how parts I am willing to give away are used, but I am not interested in aiding people who collect anything they can to re-sell.
I guess I do kind of care and should have put a $ on them myself.

So what say you guys?
Should I care who gets them?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I would rather give something to someone that needs it than sell it to someone that's just trying to make a buck on me and another guy.
There are a bunch of scummy scammers out there. Craigslist is full of em but I've had really good success with buying and selling regionally there. Haven't experienced that at all with VMF members other than scam posters, particularly a few I saw that were jumping onto every thread where someone was looking for an obsolete part. Those are super easy to spot.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,927 Posts
I have a small pile of parts just waiting for the right person. I have no interest in selling them but as soon as the stars line up: "Buddy, do I have a deal for you!"
A couple of VMF members have been kind enough to pass some parts on to me and I am all about paying it forward.

·
Just some guy
21,927 Posts
I don't think I've got anything all THAT good. Years ago I upgraded my '67 to AC. I figured no one would ever want a non-AC box assembly and tossed the entire thing. Not two weeks after there was a member on here with a want ad for one. I would have loved to have given him mine.
Talk is cheap I guess. Might have to actually throw some junk on the free-trade section in case anyone wants.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible, 5.0HO EFI, AOD
576 Posts
,,, every one who has contacted me either has a cousin/stepbrother/sister etc... that will make contact to get parts.
Some of that is just locality. I've checked on cars and bought parts near me for a friend a bunch of times.

·
Just some guy
21,927 Posts
Or meaning to. At some point. No, really.

Reactions: zray

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Im sure someone somewhere is cruising free parts ads and filpping them for a few bucks, man what a grind that would be. But why the familial excuse, if they wanted the part they just have to say, ya, I can use that give it to me? It does seem fishy though, either ask for it or not!
If I had a bro-in-law that could use a part I would ask for the free part then charge him full retail:)

Be paranoid when someone want to correspond outside of the forum, especially when you are looking for parts with an ad in the "parts wanted" or if the person wants some info to "repay you for such a nice free part."

With a hotmail.com in your name youre going to get all sorts of spam and fishing attempts. Inside the forum is not perfectly safe but less suspicious at least.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I have a small pile of parts just waiting for the right person. I have no interest in selling them but as soon as the stars line up: "Buddy, do I have a deal for you!"
A couple of VMF members have been kind enough to pass some parts on to me and I am all about paying it forward.
How about for the wrong person?
I need a double groove alt and waterpump pulley for SBF, been thwarted the last few junk yard runs and I refuse to pay retail for such a ubiquitous part.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With a hotmail.com in your name youre going to get all sorts of spam and fishing attempts. Inside the forum is not perfectly safe but less suspicious at least.
Ya, I have often thought of changing that.
I think Hotmail was the first web mail back when telco stuff was cool and the marketers were still 15 years away from re-using the word cloud.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I have gotten something for free and then put a bunch of time and work (sometimes money) into it, then sold it. But I've never duped anybody. I think it's no different with a whole car or one small piece, if you have to put something into it you may need to cover your costs but don't take advantage of people. As a matter of fact, the free stuff can be the absolute best!
One sent me an original rear view mirror for my son's car. Another sent me a headlights-on warning switch (saved the battery a time or two!) I sent one some pieces of a broken console so he could repair his console rather than scrapping either.
I need to take my a$$ to the post office and send a couple of VMF members some stuff. I am sending one a diffuser that goes on the 65 driver side fresh air vent. I think another can use a 69 parking brake warning lamp switch I have.
I don't feel like anyone has to be paranoid, just cautious.
Without VMF, I would never have made those contacts and it's possible that I would have killed a battery, bought my son a repro (maybe junk) mirror, eventually tossed a broken console base and another member would have had to do the same, and (if I can go to the post office) two other members can add that elusive piece to their car that just bugs them isn't there.
I have really enjoyed ebay and Craigslist for some good deals. But VMF is by far the best.
"A part for every car and a car for every part!"

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Yes, both.

oh wait, there was more the first post than just the title? never mind. Forget I was here.

·
Just some guy
21,927 Posts
I need a double groove alt and waterpump pulley for SBF,
Delayed reply because I had to go out and look. And get distracted by another box of parts and...oh. Not only do I not have one I could use two. The '67 could benefit from a double belt on the 3G but I don't have the water pump double. Working on bringing up the '69 which has zero pulleys and will be the same situation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts