Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I figured I may as well tackle this multi-year wp leak while I have the car up in the air.

Everytime I go to the car, there will be a little puddle underneath the car.

This is a Fox engine (reverse wp I believe). I recall swapping out to this new wp in 2014 (that would be about 2500 miles ago). If my email trail tells me correctly, it was a Bosch. I also seem to recall having to do something with the backing plate? Install the gasket myself? Or it didn't come with one? I can't recall. I could be making all that up. :) (I see some brown sealant. Did I try aviation sealant? If so, I won't be trying that again!)

Notice the drips (red) coming off the bottom of the water pump. Also notice the trail down the lower rad hose, although, it doesn't look like anything is coming out of the weep hole. Thoughts on how to tackle without pre-ordering a whole water pump? Just try a gasket swap? Swap backing plate gaskets as well?

Thanks!

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Bumper Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
The red is the cement for the front seal on the timing cover.
If the WP is leaking, you can take it off and put in a new set of gaskets.
Last time I put my car together, the plate on the back of the water pump wasn't sealed correctly. I took the plate off, cleaned the surfaces and put it back together with blue ATV, no gasket. I did have a timing cover and a water pump gasket in the garage, so I did put the TC and WP back on with new gaskets. That was 2015. Dry as a bone to this day.
The only pics I see evidence of a leak are the ones of the lower hose. Cheap and easy if that's it.

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the red coming from the water pump (my coolant color). Not the red on the seal. The drips in the first picture.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Just a guess: that could be coming from either the backing plate, or one of the two ports... either way, replace the gaskets.
The FelPro sets usually come with timing cover to block gasket, WP to TC gasket, WP back plate gasket, and fuel pump to TC gasket.

·
Registered
261 Posts
With proper inspection with a mirror if needed, proper cleaning and a coolant pressure tester, you should easily be able to determine exactly where the leak is coming from. If it's from the weep hole or front seal of the pump, replace if. If it's from the gasket sandwich, address that. If it's from the lower radiator hose, address that. Get the entire pump and timing cover clean and dry first, then pressure test, then look carefully, with mirror on a stick if needed. The leak will show itself sooner or later.

Also look for the residue trail. Coolant that has been leaking for a long time will leave a visible trail.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,475 Posts
My engine came out of an 87 Mustang w/ the reverse rotation water pump and I have a similar leak that comes and goes. I’ve read this is common due to the location of the water passages and the water pump bolts, not providing even pressure on the gaskets. I also had some pitting on the timing cover gasket surface which may be contributing to a poor seal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts