Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm starting on the restoration of my interior of my 65 coupe. I need to find out what the vinyl piece is called that is located between the carpet and the scuff plate. Its kinda like a skirt that covers from the floor to the door sill. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,784 Posts
If you have a real early Mustang, the carpet was serged even with the floor pan, and there was a vinyl piece that went from floor pan to scuff plate. Dropped real quick, and just had the carpet go up all the way up and under the scuff plate. If you have a generator car, you might have the vinyl piece. It is just the same as the seat, basically glued in place. If you bought or are buying new seats, ask for 2 pieces of the stuff. If not, try a materials shop, like fabric stores, etc. to find a close match piece of vinyl.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Check the Paddock they got what you need. It's called a scuff plate. Part number is CZZ6513208CR FOR BLACK, Other colors available as well.
Paddock Parts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope Not Kick Panel, Nope I know what a scuff Plate is. and Yes to Mustangerbob1. His description fits it to a T. except I do not have a generator. My car is an early 65. Date code is December of 64. This makes so much sense now. I ordered carpet for the mustang several months ago. and the carpet I got had a toe pad on it. The one in the mustang does not. Cool. I have something kinda unique in my car. Thats a first for my plain jane 65. Now my problem is, will the company that I bought the carpet from, swap carpets to a 64 1/2. I have not installed the new one, but if I want to keep the car the way it is I will need to exchange them....

Thanks for the info Mustangerbob1.

·
Gone but never forgotten
25,239 Posts
It's not uncommon to find the "so called 64 1/2 parts" like your carpet on the earlier '65's, even after they changed to the newer VIN numbers and got away from the generators. Ford just used up what they had before switching them.

I'll bet you'll find you have many "64.5" parts on your car like the beveled head light buckets, the fins in the radiator support, bezelled windshield wiper, and 3 wire 2 speed heater motor. My son had all of those on his C code '65 (the carpet was missing, though, when we bought it).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I do have the 3 wire 2 speed Heater Motor. I forgot about that one. I think Ill call my car a 64 3/4. Im going to start a new club...:) Anyone want to join...
I know it dosen't add any value to the car but will it add uniqness if I keep the Vinyl strip and go with the 64 1/2 carpet. Or is this one of those things that nobody really would care about. ? I had already ordered the carpet about 8 months ago from California Mustang. I even called after I recieved it cause I noticed it had a Toe Heel. and mine did not. I remembering the guy just saying "oh yeah it wont matter its the same except they added the toe heal early in the production" Now If I want to get the 64 1/2 carpet I have 2 options. Call Cal Mustang to see if they will do a swap (I'll pay shiping) or buy a new one and Ebay the other. Any thoughs anyone ??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts