Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Incorporated Sell Out
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please use this thread to post any shops you have had excellent dealings with in the regional area in the past and you would recommend to anyone needing work done. Please remember this is not a "don't go here" thread....any thing like will be removed.

· Incorporated Sell Out
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll go first.

Anyone in the MD/DE area that need machine work done, I HIGHLY recommend Kunkels Auto Center. They are a regional auto supply store with a centralized machine shop in Bel Air, MD. You go to any of their stores and they will send your items to the machine shop, do the work, and then ship it back to the local store for you.

They do Excellent, fast, reliable work. I had them do axle bearings for me and it took a few hours to send it to the shop and get them back.

I had them to my entire block for me recently, which some of you may remember, and they did I nice job. Their strongest point is head work IMO. Brain there did a top notch job Porting, polishing, 3 angle valve job, machining for scew in studs, setting the springs, etc.

· Registered
5,909 Posts
Okay, I'll take second. Mallorys auto body specializes in older mustangs,they are located in Egg Harbor Township (pleasantville) NJ southern east coast.

· Registered
1,981 Posts
:: Body and Paint Work. Jk's Collision 812 Welsh Rd.
Huntingdon Valley Pa
215-914-0650

Mechanical and Dyno JD'S Auto Repair And Performance Ctr.
Tuning. Restorations. 810 Welsh Rd.
Huntingdon Valley Pa.
215-938-9270
www.jds-high-performance.com
Engine Building L&M Engines
and Engine Dyno 246 E. County Line Rd.
Hatboro Pa
215-675-8485
www.lmengines.com

Genuine Ford Parts
Northeast Lincoln Mercury
7001 Roosevelt Blvd.
Phila. Pa.
1-800-216-6411
[email protected]

· Registered
326 Posts
my turn just got my 351 rebuilt by no limit performance in morganville nj. great job very neat with the car.they only work on hotrods and all the older cars.explained to me everything in detail.here is what really im pressed me I took the car home while they sent out the engine for maching.stripped the engine compartment and shot and detailed it.they reinstalled the engine with the hood still on the car and not a single mark anywhere!!I have know idea how they did that.i figured a few at least when they hooked up the headers.plus a 1 year "no limit" on the amount of miles on the engine. email me if you want more info. the car is done.and ready for this years events.

· Registered
309 Posts
Performance Automatic:
Performance Automatic, Inc.
8174 Beechcraft Ave.Gaithersburg, MD 20879
http://www.performanceautomatic.com/
800-767-8174
301-963-8078

Awsome ppl, I think they are the best transmission shop ever. I've had a few of their transmissions in past cars and have had nothing but excellent performance out of them, Though you doo pay a premium for it.. I think this says it all "C4 SUPER COMP TRANSMISSIONS GUARANTEED FOREVER & FREE "FRESHEN-UPS" FOR LIFE!"

· Registered
3 Posts
I am new to the southern Virginia (Norfolk/Va Beach) area. Anyone know of a place near here where I could get a 351 Cleveland rebuilt? I can get the car to the place someone posted in PA, but if there's a good shop closer, I would prefer to haul less distance.

· Incorporated Sell Out
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KUnkels machine shop did a great job on my motor.....can you pull your motor out and take it to a place? If so, Bel-air is closer than PA and I think they have shops in Baltimore.

· Incorporated Sell Out
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kunkels is a machine shop....the main base is in Bel Air.
They won't work on your car...you pull the motor and take it them or one of their many store locations in and around MD and DE (I beleive they have a few Baltimore locations)

· Registered
2,330 Posts
Hartman Driveshaft and Axle
315 George Street
Reading, PA 19605
610-929-9946
They rebuilt my 9" rear, built my driveshaft, and have been a great resource for this project.
These guys are Ford nuts. Honset and straight forward. They have also been my neighbors for 20+ years.
Bought #1 son's Cougar from Gerry.

· Registered
303 Posts
Jeffrey,

Welcome the the VMF MAC. BTW where in No VA are you located? I am not sure about the shop since I am DIY'ing mine but I am sure that someone will chime in soon

· Registered
858 Posts
Tony Pasta at Pastas Garage in Beltsville does excellent mechanical work on classic cars and he has always been honest and fair IMO.

Fancy Colours in Clinton did decent body work on my Fastback. They are slow, but the price was right for a nice paint job on my previous driver that was hit.

· Registered
303 Posts
I can not do the work I need done
I guess that is one area where I am lucky. I do not have the experience with cars necessary to restore one, but fortunatly for me I have a few friends who do. Also if you check the post at the top about the "MAC Projects" you will see that there are actually quite a few local VMF'rs that are willing to help out. I do not specifically know of any restoration shops, but a Google search turned up this one in Springfield. I do not know anything about them though and they do not have a web site.

Collector's Auto Restoration
(703) 455-0181 7967 Twist Ln
Springfield, VA Map 12.4

For bodywork, I would highly recommend Performance Auto Body in Manassas Park. I have had a few cars repaired there after accidents, and they also repainted my Grand Cherokee when it was a week old due to bad paint from the factory and it turned out great. There are usally at least a couple classics and hot rods there being done at any time.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.