Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one of these? I'm wondering it's dimensions, where you installed it, and how unsightly it is? It's the cheapest option I can come up, but it's obviously not as nice looking as a stainless unit. However, ebay + shipping to Canada turns a $30 item into a big big hassle. ANyways, let me know! Thanks!

·
Registered
893 Posts
I use one I bought at Advance Auto for about $8.00
I have it mounted below the regulator next to
the radiator, has worked real well for about 3
years and you don't even know its there. I have
never cared much for the s.s. ones I think they
are Coyote ugly.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. I never had a voltage regulator so I don't nkow where that is.. :D To the drivers side I take it? I can only assume that cutout to the right of the rad is for the horn(s?).. YOu know the approximate dimensions of it? I have a slew of relays and wiring, and an aftermarket aluminum rad so it might be a tight fit.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was thinkin you'd chime in.. ;) 6.5 eh.. Might not be enough room anywhere in my bay for it.. Well, the only chance I Have is to the left of the rad...

G

·
Personally I dont like the looks of the one I sell. When I do one I will find a stainless unit. Downside is they are a ton more money but IMHO they look ten times better. Just sayin'

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah.. Budgets stretched a little tight at the moment.. I'd LIKE to fire it up before the snow comes, which means I Need o2 sensors, driveshaft, gas cap, and a couple other things, this being one of them. Don't know if I feel like plunkin $30 plus shipping (So double what I paid for it) when I can go down to the corner store for $10.. BUT, if it looks out of place, and won't fit, then I don't have much of a choice anyways.. Wish I could find some sort of cylindrical stainless tube at home depot or something but nothing is jumping into my head..

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now is this just an 'overflow' or will this work as a reservoir.. Frankly I didn't think there was a difference until I read some threads here.. regarding if this tank is sealed or not.. I assume it's not.. are the stainless ones? If the coolant comes up from the bottom though, wouldn't that in essence form a seal around the tube going into it? Will it spew it into there, then suck it back, all the while maintaining coolant pressure?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I have one and have used it for over 10 years. It will soon (I hope) be replaced with a stainless one I bought but haven't had time to deal with. The Napa unit comes with a new two way radiator cap (13 PSI I believe) that allows coolant to flow out of the radiator when it expands when the engine gets hot, and then back in when the engine cools and the coolant is drawn back, keeping the radiator full at all times and the coolant contained. There are two hoses; one from the radiator neck (overflow) that goes to the bottom of the tank, and one from the top of the tank that serves as an overflow if necessary. Mine has never overflowed even when I lost a head gasket. The tank has coolant level markings and it all works very well. The only change I made was to replace the hose clamps with small worm gear units. And I had to replace the cap once.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Comes with a cap? That would be swell.. It would almost be worth it, price wise then.. I thought it only came with a cap for the coolant reservoir? Where did you mount it? Have a pic by chance?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Yep, mine came with a radiator cap as well as the resevoir cap. Nope, no photos, unfortunately. I mounted it where the washer bag would have gone if my car had that option. Took less than an hour to mount it and run the hoses as I recall. If you go look at the Napa unit, I would recommend that you pull it out if they'll let you and check all the pieces. Oh, beside the worm gear clamps, a couple of zip ties (black of course lol) will make it easier.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking I might mount it directly to the left and top of my aluminum rad, but not sure what goes there? I will be using the washer bag so thats not really an option for me? Is anything going to get in my way there?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
You mean on the rad. support, right? If you don't have an external voltage regulator it should be ok. Might be a good idea to go look at one and measure everything.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Hmmm. Did you ever locate/identify your voltage regulator?

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Easier said than done around here. hah.. At least finding a 67 mustang.. I can measure my own car, and measure the reservoir, but I have no idea whats left to go there.. BUt if it comes with a rad cap, I might just buy it anyways.. Downfall is the holes i have to drill, but oh well!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I mounted mine under the windshield washer bag. I try to keep Anna Haph stock but that addition really helped. Very few people have noticed under the bag.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Think I could mount it there? It can move another inch or so to the rad support. But as I said, I'm not sure if anything is supposed to go into that corner?

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I noticed if I mount it there on my 67, it's covering up a rather large hole. What is it's purpose? Wiring of some sort? Is that where the headlights are supposed to exit? IF thats the case, there is no hole in the rad support out there for it to go through, but it's a repro rad support. Also no hole in the other apron (battery tray).. Well, there is, but it's smaller, and that apron is also a repro..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts