Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ladies and Gentlemen, It begins. I am helping my son Bradley (freshmen) with his Algebra. I need your help. Problem #1 3m + 4 (2m + 3) negative6 the answer according to the book is 11m +6 problem #2 is y + 4 (2y + 3) + 2 answer according to the book is 9y + 14 We have been doing real well with researching and figuring out all the problems up to this point. But these two are giving me fits as I know the answer according to the book and I still cant figure out how they did it. Please help me to understand how they derive at the answers that they did. Thank you all in advance. Jeff

·
Registered
727 Posts
3m + 4 (2m + 3) - 6
3m + 8m + 12 - 6
11m + 6

y + 4 (2y + 3) + 2
y + 8y + 12 + 2
9y + 14

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes, those ar correct. Man I hate that crap. Have never needed it since taking math classes

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
#1 doesn't make sense so here in #2. " y + 4 (2y + 3) + 2" You start with a y. You multiply 4 times 2y and get 8y. Add the y from the front and you get 9y. 4 times 3 is 12 plus the 2 hanging out there is 14.

The answer according to the book is 9y + 4. I think the boook is wrong. It should be 9y + 14.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sorry Gene and to all involved. The answer according to the book was 9y + 14 I copied it incorrectly. I really am sorry, for how are you guys supposed to help me if I dont give the proper data. Why cant you do problem #1 ? Jeff

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are correct Charles. I could not make the negative symbol upon writing the answer. So I wrote the word negative. Jeff

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No more replies are necessary to this thread as Dave, Charles and Gene nail it. Thank you Gentlemen! I get it now; I was making it much more difficult than it really was. I really hope you and everyone here will bear with me for the next four years of school, Woops make it eight; I have one more to go after Brad. Thanks all. Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts