Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daytona 500 coming up and I haven't watch much of the Big Boys in the recent past but decided to watch the truck race tonight.

Man, I enjoyed the heck out of it...Great freaking finish with a Ford taking the race.

Pretty young lady finished 5th...good for her!!

Allen

·
Registered
139 Posts
I haven’t followed Nascar to closely in the last few years but planning on trying to watch the Daytona 500 this weekend. Use to watch it faithfully with my brother in 80’s and 90’s. The cars all look the same these days.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I quit going to Cup races some years ago. We do try to make a truck race every year. We’re going next week.

Natalie Decker has been around for a while. She did well in ARCA a couple years back and had an uneventful part time truck series ride last season. She’s got talent but they can’t seem to find consisent money to fund the program.

Hailie Deagan is one to watch. Blazingly fast, has wins. She’s Brian Deagan’s kid. Full boat Monster Energy sponsorship and a Ford factory development driver. She had a partial ARCA last year with a top 5 and a few top 10s and won a few K&N races over the last couple of seasons. She finished 2nd in last weeks ARCA race.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Natalie is one tough little lady. Follow her on Instagram.

She was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis ate the age of 2. The fact that she can handle one of those trucks for a couple hours is amazing. I did about 30 minutes total at one of those indoor carting places with my truck club last year, I'm in decent shape, and I hurt like hell the next day. I've also done the Richard petty experience (hit 151.5 mph :) ) and it's rough being in those cars.

I lost interest in Nascar a long time ago. I used to go to races. Been to Charlotte, Darlington, and Bristol. Almost all the drivers I remember have retired, I think JJ is running his final year. I usually watch Daytona, maybe Talladega, and Bristol and might check on the standings a time or two each month, but that's about it. I used to love it, but I have too much to do on weekends now.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The closest thing to real production "stock car" racing is IMSA, Daytona 24 was two weeks ago

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Once was a fan that never missed watching - my favs are long gone and/or retired...Pearson, Cale, "Million $" Bill and Tim Richmond - .......then it became too choregraphed/manipulated by the suits who apparently took a page or two out of Vince McMahon's playbook.

I will usually watch Daytona, 'Dega and sometimes the short tracks just for the wrecks that you know are going to happen (no flaming) and pray no one is injured or worse.

The trucks seems to put on the best "racing". The finish to the truck race last night was pretty entertaining.

John

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The closest thing to real production "stock car" racing is IMSA, Daytona 24 was two weeks ago
Mazda has a pro class that uses mostly stock MX5s with some spec racing parts. They are sanctioned by Indycar in the Road to Indy program. The IMSA classes are tube chassis race cars with race engines and body shells of the make. At least they look more or less like a production model.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I lost interest when the chase - playoff thing came into being. The race stages made it worse.

The guy who finishes second is the first loser in my book.

Loosen the rules on the cars, quit baby sitting the drivers and get back to what made NASCAR great. Racing!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Flaming you say? That was one of the trucks last night. They walked away...
In a twist of irony the truck about to barrel into the back of the flaming car is the FDNY car. The FDNY car is comprised of a team of volunteers that, you guessed it, are active NYC firefighters. They’ve been doing a part time truck season for a while now. After they walloped the car on fire it did seem to put the fire out a bit so I suppose it’s indirect firefighting...:p

·
Registered
630 Posts
I quit watching when they introduced the "car of tomorrow". Although it had been heading that direction for a long time, after that it was so homogenized I couldn't watch it anymore.
I do watch a occasional MotoGP race. Daytona 24 and Le Mans are also entertaining.

·
Registered
20,532 Posts
My old neighbor Vern was from Richmond VA. His HS buddy was Juni Donlavey. Vern use to run moonshine in a 39 Ford for Juni's uncle until he got caught by the Wood's brothers uncle who was a sheriff.

Vern worked for WABC TV and produced the NASCAR and Indy races. Vern was the guy who put cameras in the NASCAR cars. He knew all the old time NASCAR racers and had some really wild road stories. Boy do I miss him.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts