Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Real headlights, wipers and rain tires=real cars. No tube chassis!
The GTD class are purpose built race cars but you do buy them from the manufacturer. It’s about half a mil for the car. It’s not street legal. Endurance race cars all have headlights and wipers. Even my little Spec Miata did. ?

What happens is they take a tub and modify it with a homologated cage. The cage is steel tubing and ties the front and rear subframes. The cage structure effectively makes it a tube frame race car even though it retains the floor of the unibody. The manufacturer then takes that package to the FIA and they homologate (approve) that exact config for use as a GT3 car. Then they sell it to old rich guys to drive.

Here’s the FIA specs for GT3 which is what the GTD cars are build against.

The GTLM cars are less spec and higher tech and don’t use any of the street car parts. The Ferrari Challenge and Lamborghini classes are largely production cars but have been race modified. They’d be the closest thing to production cars that run on those weekends.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
One of the worse I've seen, the hit was directly into the window/A pillar area. Prayers

John

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Ive got a bad feeling about this.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
UPDATE: NASCAR statement: Ryan Newman is being treated at Halifax Medical Center. He is in serious condition, but doctors have indicated his injuries are not life threatening. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers and ask that you respect the privacy of Ryan and his family during this time. We appreciate your patience and cooperation and we will provide more information as it becomes available.

GREAT NEWS

John

·
Registered
116 Posts
Aussies apparently have a better idea about racing....

Was hoping Newman would take it, or Blaney, or any FORD...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
UPDATE: NASCAR statement: Ryan Newman is being treated at Halifax Medical Center. He is in serious condition, but doctors have indicated his injuries are not life threatening. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers and ask that you respect the privacy of Ryan and his family during this time. We appreciate your patience and cooperation and we will provide more information as it becomes available.

GREAT NEWS

John
That makes no sense. Serious, but not life threatening? If it's not life threatening, then what is so serious about it? Broken legs aren't serious, but can be life threatening. Same with head injuries.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
That makes no sense. Serious, but not life threatening? If it's not life threatening, then what is so serious about it? Broken legs aren't serious, but can be life threatening. Same with head injuries.
The extent of the injuries are what makes it serious. I’m not speculating on Newman’s condition directly but paralysis would be serious and not necessarily life threatening. For whatever reason the family isn’t sharing specifics right now so we need to respect that decision.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The extent of the injuries are what makes it serious. I’m not speculating on Newman’s condition directly but paralysis would be serious and not necessarily life threatening. For whatever reason the family isn’t sharing specifics right now so we need to respect that decision.
Agree. And if you watch that wreck in slow motion, it is astonishing how much that car flexes in the center when he gets hit in the driver's door while upside down (you can see the passengers side bow out). That was a tremendous amount of force.

Again wishing him well.

Allen

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
And the hospital isn't reporting anything (which is how it's supposed to be). Apparently his racing team is the only source of info. And I'm not gonna believe that very much. Every car accident is potentially life threatening, and what I saw on TV, that's definitely gonna have potentially life threatening injuries. Believing otherwise is just foolish.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
And the hospital isn't reporting anything (which is how it's supposed to be). Apparently his racing team is the only source of info. And I'm not gonna believe that very much. Every car accident is potentially life threatening, and what I saw on TV, that's definitely gonna have potentially life threatening injuries. Believing otherwise is just foolish.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I think nascar should run the road course at Daytona.
Might teach the drivers to be a bit smarter and reduce the likelihood of “the big one.”

The Rolex prototype cars are
Capable of speeds greater what what’s nascar does and they seem to drive more responsibly.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I think nascar should run the road course at Daytona.
Might teach the drivers to be a bit smarter and reduce the likelihood of “the big one.”

The Rolex prototype cars are
Capable of speeds greater what what’s nascar does and they seem to drive more responsibly.
I guess that's the downside of building a race car like a tank, they tend to drive it like one !!
NASCAR also allows and fosters the " Rubbin is Racing " mentality to improve the show.
You sure don't see that in Open Wheel racing on an oval.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I guess that's the downside of building a race car like a tank, they tend to drive it like one !!
NASCAR also allows and fosters the " Rubbin is Racing " mentality to improve the show.
You sure don't see that in Open Wheel racing on an oval.
NASCAR wouldn't have any fans if they weren't crashing into each other.
Oh, wait, does NASCAR still have fans?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts