Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know how to make steel parts look natural again. Sandblasting takes away the "shiney" finish, although the part at least look like steel again. I'm talking about things like the rear spring plates, clutch linkage, motor frame mounts, hood hinges.
So folks, what is the trick?

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Sand/bead blast, then blow off real good with air, then wipe down with wax & grease remover or solvent. Air dry and then shoot a low gloss clear, maybe couple good coats and you'll have the finish you want. Sure you might have to re-do something in a couple years, but no big.

G

·
0 Posts
I have been looking at Metal Mask by the POR-15 folks. I have never used this product, but I have had good luck with others of theirs.

Click here then scroll to the bottom.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Two ways.

1) Buy a 5 gallon bucket of "Oxysolve" from Eastwood and dunk them in it. It will remove rust and leave a fine film of zinc phosphate (which you can leave if the parts are supposed to be phosphated or remove with some steel wool if they are to be natural)

2) Go to Lowes our Depot and buy a couple of gallons of "Phosphoric" (phosphoric acid) and dunk the parts in it. Does the same thing.

When done, rub the parts down with Cosmoline, Boeshield or an oily rag to protect them.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I like RoadRacer's Oxysolv solution. It will not leave a "grainy" texture like glass beads do - and it will impart a phosphate finish, very similar to the one the factory used on stuff like hood hinges and latches.

I did this to my hinges and followed up with a coat of Krylon satin clear. They look just like the NOS hinges I see on concours cars now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts