Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in the process of buying a 1966 Ford Mustang Convertible. the car is a 6 cylinder, automatic transmission, no power steering or brakes. i'm interested in having the brakes converted to disc (+/- power...power would be nice, but at least disc). The ballpark i was given was somewhere in the $3000 range due to the need to switch from 4-lug to 5-lug and 14" to 15" wheels. Also, I was advised the conversion kit is $1000 (however, I've seen them cheaper on places like discbrakeswap.com).

Is it absolutely necessary to switch the 4-lug to 5-lug and 14" to 15" wheels/tires? Is there a way around this? I certainly don't have $3000 to spare but would love to have something other than drum brakes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I don't think it's neccesary to convert to 5 lug, but recomended. The spindles I believe are the hard part. Somebody jump in who knows for sure... but that $3000 mark sounds a little on the high side to me.

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
The kits by CSRP and Chockostang should fit the 6 cyl. spindle and clear the 14" wheels. I think some people have issues with the 14" repop rims or the early '64.5 wheels? I read that in a post but didn't make much of it since it didn't apply to me.
Both of those companies supply the stock K/H style adapters and calipers which are repops of the originals. I have test fitted a K/H caliper adapter to a 65/66 6cyl. spindle and it fit the same as on my V8 drum spindle.

I think this original style disc brake will give you the fewest headaches on install and cheapest price for a good braking system. Adding power to a '65/'66 is more difficult with a standard trans due to linkage I believe.

Also you need a booster/dual master that will fit between the firewall and shock tower as it's a shorter distance than on '67> so read the fine print on any power kits. The inside pedal will need to be changed to install power also and have the proper ratio.
Jon
Jon

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just did the conversion on my 66 mustang a few weeks ago and was able to do it at a reasonable price. I ordered the front brake swap from CSRP and with shipping it was a little under 600 bucks. It comes with everything you need to do the swap except for a couple brake lines, and the V8 spindles. You have to get the spindles from a V8 car so last summer I actually bought a 65 mustang where I took the rear end, spindles, and centerlink off of it and sold all the other parts that came with it and was only in the hole 100 bucks there. After sandblasting the spindles, rear end, and centerlink, I painted them and did the whole 5 lug swap on my 66 at the same time. Of course I spent a about 1500 and bought the suspension and steering kits from Mustangs Unlimited at the same time so I don't have to deal with it later. I only ended up being into the project a little over 2 grand and everything turned out great! One more thing I might add. I also had the driveshaft from the 65 mustang. Of course it matches up with the 8 inch rear but on the yoke it was a little bit long so i just cut off the end and it slid right into the tranny! Dream come true! I still have the little straight six in the car but as long as the hood is down, no one will ever know that its not a v8 car. Everything turned out looking great. I tried posting pictures to show you what it looks like but couldn't figure it out. I could email them to you if you would like. Also let me know if you have any other questions while this is all still fresh in my mind.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Check out Scarebird if you want to stay 4 lug and keep your 14" wheels. Well, some 14" wheels, I think the earlier steel wheels won't fit, but my 68 steel wheels did.

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
Check out Scarebird if you want to stay 4 lug and keep your 14" wheels. Well, some 14" wheels, I think the earlier steel wheels won't fit, but my 68 steel wheels did.
I asked Scarebird directly, and their kit was engineered to fit inside stock 64 Falcon 4-bolt wheels.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I asked Scarebird directly, and their kit was engineered to fit inside stock 64 Falcon 4-bolt wheels.
When I asked he said there was no guarantee they would fit the small steels, but the large steels would be fine. I was fortunate to have the larger ones. Here is a related thread:

Scarebird 4 lug disc brake conversion - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

This one talks about the different sized steel wheels:

FORDSIX PERFORMANCE • View topic - Stock Steel Rim info needed for Scarebird Conversion

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the responses! there is some great info here. this is my first vintage mustang so i'm learning. unfortunately, i'm not mechanically minded or able, so i'm at the liberty of whoever i would be able to get to do the work for me (& some of the technical terms are a bit over my head :)). but, i'm a fast learner, i research well & mostly i just want to get the job done by someone as inexpensively as possible. whatever steps i can possibly avoid that will result in cost savings are good with me. i hope to find a good, dependable, honest, mechanic nearby who can work on the car and not try to take advantage of a newbie female owner. :0/

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Pharmgrrrl,

Welcome! Just run what you hear from your mechanics by everyone here. Very helpful, patient, and nice people here.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Pharmgrrrl... I'm in Decatur as well, I didn't notice that on your first post. I'm able to offer any help/advice you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pharmgrrrl... I'm in Decatur as well, I didn't notice that on your first post. I'm able to offer any help/advice you need.
i actually updated my location after that original post, so that explains it! thanks for the offer for help/advice...i'm sure you'll be hearing from me. ha. nice to know that there is someone in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Probably right around the corner... Decatur isn't that big

1 - 13 of 13 Posts