Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all you '67 390 owners. I need some help with pulleys & belts. A pic would be great if possible, but I need to know what the exact belt routing is with p/s, and I especially need to know what the crank pulley looks like. My crank pulley has one groove in the harmonic, and the next groove is a pulley that bolts directly to the front of that, which makes the belts about 1/4" apart. I am installing a Classic Auto Air system, and the pics show the second crank pulley standing off of the harmonic. This groove would be for the stock power steering. Any help would be great.

Anthony

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
In FE talk, thats the small balancer, or early balancer, 67 and prior, The belt that is closest to the motor, or put on first, will go over the crank, water pump, and alternator

The next belt, on a factory p/s system will go crank, water pump, and p/s. That is the add on pulley you are talking about on the crank

The a/c will be on a third and outermost and go directly crank, then idler (adjustment pulley) then a/c.

What I recommend, is that you look for a later model balancer and lower pulley with three shieves. The later model balancer is more effective at balancing for one, and you can set up all three belts much more easily. Everything will line up the same way with what you already have, you'll just have a balancer without any belts over it, and all three on a removable crank pulley. Go to any 68+ Ford truck with three groove pulley and take everything off the crank

I dont have a pic right now, my camera battery died and I am waiting for one to come in, but I did the same thing. Entire 67 setup off a Fairlane, with a 70+ lower 3 shieve pulley and balancer so I could easily run the a/c on the outermost pulley

1 - 2 of 2 Posts