Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 coupe that I'm converting to a fastback... so far I've removed the coupe roof, got a fastback donor roof structure and stripped the damaged roof panel, rusted quarters, and rusted portions of the drip rail. I've since received new dynacorn roof panel, full 67 quarters, and window filler panel... I think I've got the structure in the right place but I would like to confirm some measurements.
The new roof panel seems to sit little short between my front and rear window, (maybe beacause I have not completly fitted and clamped it to the drip rails.. I need more small clamps).
If your car is gutted, then I could use your help. I need 2 measurements, one is the distance between the front and rear window frames measured at the center of the frames. Since I'm splicing the roof rails where the factory did, I'd like to confirm I've got it right by measuring the distance between the window frames. Up til now, I've fitted the structure based on several things, but primarily how the quarters fit up to the roof structure, drip rails, and alignment marks from the coupe roof.

The second is the distance between the door pillars, just above the door where the sail panel wraps around towards the weatherstrip channel. The door jambs on the donor fastback where already hacked out by someone else, So I will need to fabricate braces to mount the door pillars too, but before I weld it all up, I'd like to confirm the distance between the pillars. Here are a couple of pics to better explain where I'd like measurements taken.

http://home.comcast.net/~stangg/pictures/fastback_measurements_1.jpg

Below - picture of the passenger side door pillar with the quarterpanel, and drip rail removed.. the red box shows the point of measurment for both sides.
http://home.comcast.net/~stangg/pictures/pillar.JPG

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I can take those measurements on Saturday for you if you want.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great... Saturday is perfect.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
OK, got it done a day early.

The side measurement from the inside on the flange that you pictured was 56" from the VERY bottom of the flange. The roof tapers in quickly so even just the width of the tape made it change over 1/4 inch, so the 56" is at the complete bottom.

On the roof, the windshield flange curves at the front, so depending on where you measure it from it will change. I measured three times. Once from the corner's of the windshield to the corner of the back window opening. I got 44" on the driver's side and 44.25" on the Passenger side. My car had been hit in the 70's in the left rear which may have accounted for the difference or it just could be sloppy build tolerances. I also measured it from the center of the windshield to the center of the back window opening from the flange. I got 46.5" there. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much! I just ran out to see how mine measures up and I got the same 46.5" on the center of the roof and also got the 44.25" on both sides. I had originally aligned this the roof rails based on the sealer marks left behind when I removed the coupe roof. It pretty much confirms Ford maintained consistency in the roof structure assembly.

On my pillars at rest they measure about 55.5". The 56 looks to be right on when I spread them out. They line up perfectly to where the windlace goes in the lower door jamb area.

This is very very helpful... I'll be sure to update the images in the post to reflect the measurements.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I went through this proceedure a few years back with a coupe and 65 fastback. I was lucky because I had My 65 to take measurements from. Also lots of free advice and and some help from the peanut gallery. Rather an ambitious projec for a tire -kicker in mittle of a northern winter. Best of Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts