Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Im currently working in Iraq but will be coming home soon for a short break. During that break I want to get my sons first car up and running with him, so we can spend so quality time together in the garage. I bought him a 68 CPE V8 AT project car. Engine and trans previous owner claims are rebuilt.

So here is my problem I didnt get all the boxes of parts with the car sadly, so I am missing alot of common engine bay parts. I just want driver grade stuff right now so I can get it fired up for him and them worry on my next leave about making it nice.

I am looking for either a place near Nashville TN that may have this stuff at a fair price or I am willing to buy it off of members that my have spares or take off they want to sell.

Needs.
Lower Pulley
Shock Tower support bars
4 BBl Carb and linkage
Fuel Pump (302)
Distributor
Alternator and Bracket with hardware
Power Steering pump with bracket, pulley, hardware and hoses
Starter
Coil
Engine Harness
Automatic floor shifter Assembly (need it all plus the rods)
Radiator
Radiator Shroud

Any Help would be great, I know I will have to just buy some of it new but I want to see what is out there. Heck Years ago I had all this stuff in boxes on shelves but those where the days LOL.
Please PM or email or post what you may have and how much. Plus shipping to 37042 zip and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks again friends.
Scott

P1100125.jpg

Engine.JPG

P1140059.jpg

PS Engine Bay.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Scott,
Looks like from your picture that you have a later model engine
(70 or newer) judging from the four bolt balancer and the water pump
which means you will have to stick with 70 and newer pulleys, brackets
etc or change the front of your engine to 68 specs.

One problem you will have is the water pump outlet on the wrong side
so a 68 radiator will have the lower outlet on the passenger side when
you need it on the drivers side. Some have had a radiator shop move the
outlet or extend the radiator hose over, they may make a special
aftermarket radiator to correct, I don't know.

I can help with some of the parts, just need to know which way you want
to go, convert to 68 or stay with what you have.

I'm located near Cincinnati, Ohio let me know if interested.
Steve

Also looks like your transmission is a AOD which would require different linkage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve,
Thanks for the input I didn't even catch that in the pics my wife sent me of the engine. It will be my sons car so originality is not a issue, just safe and solid. So Ill use a 70's radiator then. As for the trans the other owener said it was a FMX trans.

So if you can help any that be great let me know my email is yamahak at hotmail dot com. Drop me a line and we can talk further.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
71 Posts
68 parts

Scott,
Looks like from your picture that you have a later model engine
(70 or newer) judging from the four bolt balancer and the water pump
which means you will have to stick with 70 and newer pulleys, brackets
etc or change the front of your engine to 68 specs.

One problem you will have is the water pump outlet on the wrong side
so a 68 radiator will have the lower outlet on the passenger side when
you need it on the drivers side. Some have had a radiator shop move the
outlet or extend the radiator hose over, they may make a special
aftermarket radiator to correct, I don't know.

I can help with some of the parts, just need to know which way you want
to go, convert to 68 or stay with what you have.

I'm located near Cincinnati, Ohio let me know if interested.
Steve

Also looks like your transmission is a AOD which would require different linkage.
Look at the pics closer, the lower water pump does discharge on the left ( drivers side) and the trans is a FMX, has a removable bell. AOD's were 1 piece like the C6.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
the trans is a FMX, has a removable bell. AOD's were 1 piece like the C6.
My bad, thanks for the correction.

Scott, I'll send you a e-mail.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Scott, you might try contacting Toby Hammond of CarzNPartz. He's located in Murfreesboro. He also has a website with his contact info: carznpartz.com - Contact

I met him at the 45th anniversary in Birmingham. He's a really great guy to talk with and seemed to have very reasonable prices.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have a set of OEM shock tower support bars and factory engine harness for a V8 w/o tach. I also have an old coil and bracket

I also have a like new 2-row radiator out of my 67 which originally had a 289.

Since you are serving our country, you can have it all for free and i will ship it to you. Let me know.

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don,

Thanks you so much for the offer. I will PM you my info, this will help a lot. My goal is to get it started at least while I'm home. Since the roar of a engine always fired me up to work on a project Im hoping it will do the same for my son. Anything to get him off the computer and in the garage! This will go along way alone with Steve;s help I will be much closer to being able to do this on leave in March.

Thanks Guys,
Scott

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you have a FMX transmission you will need a different transmission crossmember. The FMX uses a "Y" shaped crossmember with 351 stamped on the bottom. A C4 or manual transmission uses a "H" shaped crossmember. A "Y" shaped crossmember is needed to clear the transmission oil pan.
Another thing is the shift linkage rod for a FMX has a C9Z stamped on it.

Jim V
69Chop1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts