Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member. Hello. I was hoping for some advice on what aftermarket air conditioning to buy. What works the most efficiently, what looks the most original, price, etc. Any help appreciated. Car is a '65 Fastback.

Thanks in advance,
jeff

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hello Cammbob and welcome to the VMF. Don't forget to fill out your profile so we know a little more about you and your car.

There are several options for adding air to our cars, Vintage Auto Air makes the perfect fit system that replaces the heater box in your car. And Classic Auto Air (813-251-2356 or 813-251-4994) makes a perfect fit type system, a daily driver under dash system, and rebuilt original systems.

I opted for the Classic Auto Air daily driver system with Sanden (rotary) compressor and R134 refrigerant. I get 38* at the register and am very happy with the system. There tech support has been awesome.

If you go this route let me know, I have lots of pictures and tips that can help you along the way. I'm sure some else here will weigh-in on the Vintage Auto Air systems.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
I recently found out a significant difference between the Vintage Air stuff and the Classic Auto Air stuff.

The Vintage system uses the same coils for the heater that are used for the condenser, which means that if you pop your heater core you have to drain your A/C system to change it out. This is not the case with the Classic system.

I have the Classic daily driver system in my fastback. It works quite well.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Kent -- no disrespect intended, but did you mean they use the same coils for the 'evaporator' as for the heater? If so, how do they manage that? The a/c system is a much higher pressure system than the heating system. I can't imagine that you would run freon and hot water through the same coils. There would have to be a system to switch between the two. Also, built-in a/c systems use the hot water in the heater coils to regulate temperature. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
They don't run water and freon in the same coils, but the heater core is integral to the evaporater, or the other way around. The end result being that you have to drain the A/C in order to change the heater core.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have found Classic Auto Air to be most knowledgeable and helpful. No rush to get me off the phone without fully educating me about the system and what I need to do. Very unusual in today's world of BS customer service. Al appears to be the owner and won't let me get away until he has fully explained the possible options and what I should do. Good Guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts