Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy that is interested in my Centerforce Flywheel. He has a 1991 351 with a 5 spd manual and a 1984 Bellhousing. My flywheel is a 164 tooth version and he was told he could only use a 157 tooth flywheel. Will my flywheel work with the stuff he has, or would he have to change alot of parts to use mine? thanks in advance

Dave

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
if I get this right he needs a flywheel and you have a 164 tooth one for sale? yes he needs a 157 or the starter will never work, over all dia. of the flywheel will be to big. You also never mentioned what years, there is a balance change in 82 and if you have a later model 164tooh truck flywheel form a 351W then it will be the later balance of 28 and not 50.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well according to the guy,he says all 351s were 28 OZ imbalance(only the 289-302 changed in the later years. So could he use my flywheel if I gave him my starter too! I plan on going with a mini starter when I put the new stroker in.
Dave

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
RTM said:
... there is a balance change in 82 and if you have a later model 164tooh truck flywheel form a 351W then it will be the later balance of 28 and not 50.
Just for clarification, the 302/5.0L changed from a 28 to a 50 ounce imbalance. All 351w's are 28 oz. imbalance.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SO JOHNPRO: Can the guy use my flywheel with his set up if i give him the starter I was using with it. Would he have to get a different bellhousing to use my flywheel. This is what my car had: 1966 289 with a toploader 4-spd. This is what he has:1991 351W with a 84 bellhousing and a 5-spd. i have called all of the local auto parts stores and none of them have been able to tell me what would have to be changed or whether it work at all. I never knew there was a difference. i just ordered it from Summit racing(they never asked me what tooth my stock flywheel was)I guess I just got lucky and thye sent me the correct one.

Thanks Dave

·
Registered
82 Posts
Why is it that when I went on summits web page it listed the centerforce 164 tooth and the 157 tooth for the 1966 289 ? When you look at starters for that same year it only has Manuel or Auto .

·
Registered
430 Posts
The size of the bellhousing is what will determine what number of teeth on the flywheel you will need. If you try to use a 164 tooth flywheel with a bellhousing made for a 157 it will never work, or visa versa.

·
Registered
82 Posts
so other then counting the teeth how do I know which one I have . I would think if it was an original car it would have one and not the other or did 1966 cars get both depending on where they were built ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts