Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good, portable battery jumper? I see them anywhere from $40 to $200. I don't really need a built in flashlight and USB plugs. Just one strong enough for a jump start (not just a charger.)

Thanks!

·
VMF Ambassador
6,583 Posts
I have this thing:

KMASHI 400A Peak 14.8V 8000mAh Compact Car Jump Starter Power Bank Battery Charger with LED Flashlight and Advanced Safety Protection

Looks like:

It's about the size of a large cell phone / an external hard drive. This thing is AMAZING. One charge is good for a few jumps on a 289, and it is a truly instant start. Just plug it in and the starter will turn over maybe half a turn and then the engine is up and running! Lots of juice in it. Can't beat the price either and it has very good reviews.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Really? Those things can jump a car? I bought the bigger unit from HF and didn't do jack when I needed a jump. How long do those things hold a charge before you need to charge it again?

Thanks

·
VMF Ambassador
6,583 Posts
Really? Those things can jump a car? I bought the bigger unit from HF and didn't do jack when I needed a jump. How long do those things hold a charge before you need to charge it again?

Thanks
Well, I'll let you know on mine. I bought it in early April, charged it up, jumped the car, jumped it again for entertainment purposes, haven't charged it since. Battery is once again dead on my car so I should be jumping her again sometime this weekend. I'll update then but supposedly the charge lasts for months so I think it'll be fine.

I too couldn't believe that something so little could actually jump the car. I used to have this giant charger/jumper thing in the back of my Camry that weighed about 30 lbs, and it would barely start the car. I have no idea how this little thing does it but it's totally awesome to be able to keep it in my glovebox!

·
VMF Ambassador
6,583 Posts
Well most of the time it's me leaving the door open while working on a project or something :p but the alarm system also drains it over the course of a month if I don't start the car, which is what happened before - I was gone for a month and came back to it dead.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I like the Stanley 1000 amp jump starter that you can pick up at Menards. I use it all the time and it comes with a built in tire pump.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,330 Posts
1. Cheap hand truck cart.
2. Cheap marine battery box.
3. Cheap group 27 starting battery.
4. Cheap 12V battery charger.
5. Some nuts and bolts.
6. Cheap jumper cables.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Pricey , but they don't come much better then these , using it for my 496 mags in my other toy.

https://no.co/

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Will these type of units work with the optima batteries? For the price and size it might be a good idea to get it just in case!

·
Registered
10,015 Posts
I have no idea how this little thing does it but it's totally awesome to be able to keep it in my glovebox!
It's alien technology. Sorry, can't get into the details.

I too am surprised by these little battery packs. One of my coworkers bought one last week for his motorcycle. He used to it jump his motorcycle twice. No big deal, but then he rode to a beer fest and jumped a car with a dead battery; all on the same charge. He got his at Target and it was around $100.

·
Registered
10,015 Posts
Well most of the time it's me leaving the door open while working on a project or something :p but the alarm system also drains it over the course of a month if I don't start the car, which is what happened before - I was gone for a month and came back to it dead.
Do you park your car anywhere near an electrical outlet? You can pick up a Battery Tender very cheaply; like $25.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1466862029&sr=1-4&keywords=battery+tender

·
Registered
35,330 Posts

·
VMF Ambassador
6,583 Posts
Well, I'm reporting back, and unfortunately I can't test how good that little jumper box is after a few months of not being charged... because my battery is completely 100% flat! It measured 0.05 millivolts :lol: Water in it is fine so I think it is just konked out. Going to get a new one tomorrow but I guess I won't have a chance to test my jumper then. Sorry!

Reactions: Klutch

·
VMF Ambassador
6,583 Posts
How come you haven't been driving Jane?
A deadly combination of two weeks of vacation (away from home, and via airplane) and three weeks of messing with the new front suspension :) I'm a very slow worker and even slower in the humidity/heat. Pretty sure a snail could outwrench me, honestly.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I have one of the HF $69 ones. havent used it yet. but then again it wouldnt be the first time id have the hood open
waving a pair of jumper cables to all that drive by. had a few slow down look over and give me the thumb raspberry on the nose and drive away.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
I like the Stanley 1000 amp jump starter that you can pick up at Menards. I use it all the time and it comes with a built in tire pump.
Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
I have the same one for about 2 years now, got it at HomeDepot (don't think they carry it any more). It has worked well for me. Even use it to power my winch.
I will probably get one of the newer smaller ones others have posted just to have one and make it easier to store.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts