Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of a new floor jack. I'm thinking a 1.5 ton should be sufficient for occasional use on a '68 small block mustang. I've found the following and was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with either of these, or could recommend something better. I'm in Hawaii, so cost of shipping is a consideration.

At my local NAPA - EVERCRAFT 1.5 T Aluminum - link

At Harbor Freight - PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE 1.5 Ton Aluminum Rapid Pump® Racing Floor Jack - link

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Harry Z

·
Registered
749 Posts
That HF one doesn't go up high enough. I have it. I went back and got this one. Much better and lifts the car up high enough to put my RaceRamp Cribs under the wheels.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ditto with the HF I’ve been using it for 7 years works great but I’d put in the extra $30 and get the 3 ton it’s way easier to “pump” up and it goes up pretty heigh!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I have the HF 2.5 ton aluminum floor jack. I really like it and have no problems with it, and I use it all the time. Most every jack you buy today is going to be made in China.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Ive always wonder if y'alls Asian import stuff passes you on the way to California to just turn and go back to Hawaii.

I have the $79 HF and the $129 3 ton Datoyna from HF, of course don't ever pay that though. Everyday e-coupon price is $59 and $99, once in a while even better:) They are both decent simple things. Do as they say and bleed and check the fluid before use for long life.
The small one is just that, lighter, all aluminium and shorter pump lever. it lifts plenty high to get onto stands for most people to get underneath, maybe not to change a trans but still. Its light and short enough i can one hand it over crap that might be in the way on the floor.
The bigger one has a lower clearance! Funny, eh? The longer handle can make it a pain if your garage is tight in spots or you always have stuff in the way like me. So much easier if you need to jack a truck or something, it doesn't feel like its under any strain.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The Arcan XL35 can do amazing things. It goes places other jacks can't go. In a garage with no room, you could lift a Mustang by pumping the handle in the driveshaft tunnel. It can slip under the front spoiler of lowered cars and raise it in one step. Helpful when detailing a car too.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I have a low profile HF jack that I've been using for a number of years now, and hasn't given me any issues. After I bought the 1st Generation Z-Ray cross member with jack pad, good thing I have the low profile one! But I can lift the front end up there a ways with that cross member being low.

·
6,927 Posts
I went with a Jegs 2 Ton low profile aluminum jack:

No complaints on that one. Had it for 3 or 4 years I guess. The advantage is it is a lot lighter which works out well for me. $219 using code "savemore"

I ordered it though amazon prime so I could get free shipping.

Phil

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Buy the yellow Daytona floor jack from Harbor freight. Best floor jack you can get for the money.
It’s the best value in a jack right now. That one is manufactured by Shinn Fu, the guys that bought Hein Warner. It’s assembled and QCed in China. It’s a copy of the Snap On FJ series also manufactured by Shinn Fu. The FJs use a different, more robust seal configuration, different pad, handle and wheels and are assembled and QCed in the US. For $200 you can’t beat the yellow Daytona.

·
Registered
9,637 Posts
Here's a second vote for the 3 ton low profile HF jack which I have been using for several years. I thought it was funny that the other poster didn't trust a HF jack but did the Costco one.
Harbor Freight tools are not known for reliability or durability. The Costco jack is much more durable than the HF example.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Harbor Freight tools are not known for reliability or durability. The Costco jack is much more durable than the HF example.
HF has some good value, quality lines these days. They still have the bargain basement stuff but newer lines like Icon, Bauer, Chief and Hercules are as good as any of the other mid market lines and price competitive. It’s not top of the line and they aren’t cheap but a great midline value. The yellow Daytona jack is in that realm too. The Costco jack is an Alltrade badged as Cat. Alltrade contracts everything they sell from Taiwan or mainland China. I’d bet that Shinn Fu makes the Alltrade lifting equipment as well as it looks like other Shinn Fu manufactured lifting tools. There are only a handful of players that can manufacture tools at that scale. Chances are most brands tools are coming off the same lines with perhaps different fetures and price points.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Both my son and I each have a NAPA 3 ton low profile floor jack. Has two pistons that pump. Lift plate has a replaceable lift pad, great for my mustang. Wide safe stance.
Also works as well for my F150.
I figured some tools worth spending the extra $$$ for long life and safety!!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
HF has really upped their game. I can say my HF catalog of tools, which is getting quite expansive, has outlasted anything else I've had. They're now competing with the tool trucks and putting out some tools that look pretty darn nice. Their Chicago Electric left a lot to be desired, but the new stuff like Bauer and the like seem to be legit. I got my FIL a Bauer impact driver which is pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
HF has really upped their game. I can say my HF catalog of tools, which is getting quite expansive, has outlasted anything else I've had. They're now competing with the tool trucks and putting out some tools that look pretty darn nice. Their Chicago Electric left a lot to be desired, but the new stuff like Bauer and the like seem to be legit. I got my FIL a Bauer impact driver which is pretty nice.
The Icon line is nice particularly for the price. Going direct to consumer on the hand tools and power tools can save at least 30% compared to the truck. The truck markup is about 30% on those with the real ability to wheel and deal on toolboxes, diagnostics and other high end shop equipment. Icon is a third to half the price in every case where they have a competing hand tool.

The Icon boxes look good but they are comparing the price to list from the truck. No one on my guy’s route pays list. I was quoted a storm gray with red trim KCP2422 comparable to an Icon for a couple hundred less than the Icon. I think the best value period in tool storage these days is the latest US General line. Great bang for buck.

The Icon line is equal or in some cases better than the value truck lines like Gearwrench, Cornwell and Blue Point. For the top of the line brands the Icon isn’t quite there in terms of material and precision of the tool. For example the wrench and socket flat tolerances or the pawls, tooth engagement and precision of the ratchets. Does it really matter for most? I’d say not even though I still get (well, I’ll be stoping for a while) pretty much tools either off the truck or truck brand used. An entry level tech or home guy can do well with the newer HF tools. I still don’t get abrasives, cutting tools or welding supplies from them. 😁

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The FJs use a different, more robust seal configuration, different pad, handle and wheels and are assembled and QCed in the US.
I like the idea of better seal configuration, but a 3 ton jack is overkill for my needs. Plus it weighs 100 lbs. I was looking at aluminum jacks as I cannot lift something like this, and the cost of shipping to Hawaii is prohibitive. So, are there other jacks that have the FJ features, but not 3 ton capacity?

Mahalo,

Harry Z

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I like the idea of better seal configuration, but a 3 ton jack is overkill for my needs. Plus it weighs 100 lbs. I was looking at aluminum jacks as I cannot lift something like this, and the cost of shipping to Hawaii is prohibitive. So, are there other jacks that have the FJ features, but not 3 ton capacity
Yeah, it’s brutal heavy. Snap On is making an aluminum jack with everything made in Alabama. It lists at a grand though the dealers are selling them for around $700. Still mega expensive. You’re likely not to get the lift from an aluminum jack or have your options limited. Brunnhoelzl has a great powerful, lightweight jack. They make most of the custom jacks for Nascar. Silly expensive but an outstanding product. The lower end version is about $800 with a 17-1/4“ lift and one with a 23” lift for about $1300. Both are under 35 lbs or so. Your more affordable options are limited. I’d hit the Costco and see if they had that Cat branded jack or a bigger Napa and see what they have.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts