Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Also I'd suggest note whether any jack is "low profile" if that's important to you. Some jacks maybe nice deal but sit kinda high when lowered down.
I was for me to get a lower profile one, for different cars I have. Why I picked the NAPA one.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
I have the Napa one. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I was for me to get a lower profile one, for different cars I have. Why I picked the NAPA one.
I have the Napa one. Very happy with it.
Which NAPA jack do each of you have? The one I linked to at the beginning of this thread doesn't look like a low profile one. Here's the link again link

On the NAPA jack that you have, does the lever arm go totally verticle? Hard to tell from the pictures on the website. Some jacks seem to have the lever arm at around 30* from verticle so it will take up more room in my already crowded garage.

Also, I don't think I need a real low profile as my '68 has the Shelby/Arning drop, but that's it in terms of lowering the car.

Thanx to all who have responded

Harry Z

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Which NAPA jack do each of you have? The one I linked to at the beginning of this thread doesn't look like a low profile one. Here's the link again link

On the NAPA jack that you have, does the lever arm go totally verticle? Hard to tell from the pictures on the website. Some jacks seem to have the lever arm at around 30* from verticle so it will take up more room in my already crowded garage.

Also, I don't think I need a real low profile as my '68 has the Shelby/Arning drop, but that's it in terms of lowering the car.

Thanx to all who have responded

Harry Z
Mine has a blue anodized frame and I definitely got it at my local Napa but it is now a few years old. They may not sell it any more. I looked at some online photos and it is a low profile racing floor jack that looks like the 1.5 ton Harbor freight one.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
i use the long reach low profile 3 ton Daytona, had it a couple of years now, and the older low profile Pittsburgh 3 ton, had it for years. both are good jacks and have never missed a beat. i also have an aluminum 1 1/2 ton "mini" jack, and although it works good, it's not confidence inspiring using it.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I bought this from Costco .
15854373333571129643582.jpg

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
The Icon line is nice particularly for the price. Going direct to consumer on the hand tools and power tools can save at least 30% compared to the truck. The truck markup is about 30% on those with the real ability to wheel and deal on toolboxes, diagnostics and other high end shop equipment. Icon is a third to half the price in every case where they have a competing hand tool.

The Icon boxes look good but they are comparing the price to list from the truck. No one on my guy’s route pays list. I was quoted a storm gray with red trim KCP2422 comparable to an Icon for a couple hundred less than the Icon. I think the best value period in tool storage these days is the latest US General line. Great bang for buck.

The Icon line is equal or in some cases better than the value truck lines like Gearwrench, Cornwell and Blue Point. For the top of the line brands the Icon isn’t quite there in terms of material and precision of the tool. For example the wrench and socket flat tolerances or the pawls, tooth engagement and precision of the ratchets. Does it really matter for most? I’d say not even though I still get (well, I’ll be stoping for a while) pretty much tools either off the truck or truck brand used. An entry level tech or home guy can do well with the newer HF tools. I still don’t get abrasives, cutting tools or welding supplies from them. 😁
Good to know HF continues to expand their quality tools. I have a HF blast cabinet. It's basically just a steel box with a window and it works fine. I have a HF parts washwer. It's basically a big, steel sink with a pump. I used "Oil Eater" as a cleaning agent and it lasted a long time; still works. (I've seen people complain online that the pump failed, but they used petroleum-based solvents which the manual clearly says not to do.)

I tried a HF "Professional Grade" angle grinder early in my Mustang project days. It lasted about three days before going to pieces. My compressor is a US General I bought from HF. It's really nice and has been going strong for years. Unfortunately, I don't think HF sells that compressor anymore.

So, yeah. Some HF stuff is junk, but there are a few gems to be had. I'm not one of those guys who says the only think worth carrying out of a HF store is the cash register. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have and like the https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low-profile-rapid-pump-floor-jack-64264.html
I can hike up my -03 LeSabre high enough with it that when I lift the front wheel, the back is three or four inches above the ground. No problem lifting the old 3/4 ton truck either. I've had mine for years and never had a hiccup. Of course, no matter what you're lifting with, you need to have the car on jack stands before you get underneath it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts