Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a need for a three row seating vehicle. I would like the second row to be buckets, the third row will be car seats for the grandkids.

None of us have a people hauler and when we want to go somewhere together we have to take two vehicles. PITA.

Ive been thinking a Honda Odyssey or a Gen3 Tahoe.

It will be for local use, occasional trips to Atlanta <200 miles roundtrip and a once a year trip to Savannah <500 miles roundtrip.

Most of the vehicles in the year and price range I want have as much as 185k on them.

No worries on the Honda, but I have no idea how the Tahoe fairs once it gets that kind of mileage.

Opinions or other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Look for a Toyota Sienna Van. Toyota go forever and I know they come in that configuration. Chrysler pacifica van is a good choice also.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
No buckets but a consideration for us was to be able to haul eight. Which narrows the choices a LOT. A bench front seat Expedition. 4.6 and two wheel drive it's not bad on gas at all for a vehicle of its size. Does better than I expected in our modest SC snow. Has pulled a pop up camper and full load of kids through the Smoky Mountains with no problem. Two of us drove it to Colorado and back and loved it. Wife wants to take it out there again. Mileage wasn't too great cruising most often at 85mph but the ride was great.
I bought it specifically to be a weekend car that could haul us and all the grandkids at once. Pull a small camper/trailer maybe. After some misgivings about it being huge, the wife glommed onto it and won't stop driving it. One downside is third row legroom is VERY abbreviated. You can pull the third row seat out for cargo room which is great but you have to put the seat somewhere and wrestling it in and out of the car is awkward. Right about 175k miles I think. I bought it (cheap) with a burnt exhaust valve cause by a botched DIY spark plug change. Put a "grandma car" used Town Car engine in it instead of fixing it so the engine has about a third of the miles as the rest of it.
Daughter loves her Odyssey. Took me forever to talk her into trying one, she was dead set on an SUV. Second row buckets, third row seating an average human can fit in. Selling point to her was it being an EX-L. So ALL the toys. GPS navigation, leather, sunroof, power sliding doors, etc. Just put a timing belt on it at 220K miles.
I also have a "throw away" Caravan. Bought it for next to nothing. Short version without rear AC but it's just a run around. And the "loaner" when the kids have car issues. I meant to drive it a little and sell it but it keeps hanging around and being handy. I was impressed by the stow away seating in newer Caravans though. You can turn a people hauler into a cargo van in a jiffy and very easily. Plus the 4.0 engine in the newer ones is surprisingly zippy. Always a pleasure when you put your right foot down and stuff actually happens. Test drive one. Make sure it is in fact a 4.0 and not a 3.8 or some lesser creature. Transmissions tend to be a weak point in those.
Rear AC is critical in a people hauler. We had Rendezvous which the wife loved and it pushed all the buttons. Except it had no rear AC provision beyond a vent in the rear of the center console. Passengers in the third row suffered in the summer. Second row folks got no real cooling either. It was awful. Wife still misses it though. My son has it these days and I think it just crested 300K miles.
Other daughter doesn't like her 5.3 Tahoe as much as she used to. ABS issues, front wheel bearings (hubs), I rebuilt the transmission (4L65E), oil leaks, weird interior electrical issues. She's tired of it and looking to downsize. It seems like it's been something with it every other week so I'll be glad to see it go too.
These are all just individual experiences with single vehicles though. I'm sure many folks can claim to have very different impressions of the same vehicles.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
A Ford Explorer with the bucket 2nd row and fold-down third row is right up your alley, affordable and EXTREMELY well-built. We've had a fleet of Tahoes at my work since 2013, and the 5.3 engine cams, bearings etc and active fuel management systems are junk til the 2015 model, the 2016 and 2017 climate control system and the external oil pump are trash, and the transmission is slipping in my 24,000 mile 2018 Tahoe. We just got 4 2019s and all of them are leaking around the rear hatch. That's why all of my personal vehicles have Blue Ovals and a bunch of miles on them.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The wife loves her Flex. More second row leg room than just about anything out there and less expensive. They just stopping making them so you might get a good deal.

·
Registered
273 Posts
We had a Toyota Sienna as our primary kid hauler. It could easily drive a family of five and a week's worth of stuff for vacation. After the kids started driving, my wife decided she didn't want a van and we now have a 2013 Explorer. It was from a rental fleet before we bought it with ~20,000 miles. The biggest repair so far (currently at 155,000 miles) was an evap valve. Looking at replacing a couple of O2 sensors this month. The down-side to the Explorer is that if we all go on a week-long vacation, we run out of room (admittedly, my wife likes to over-pack) and have to rent a minivan. There are also a few rust bubbles on the front edge of the hood where the aluminum/steel are joined. I noticed this 3-4 years ago; it does not appear to be expanding much, if at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts