Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assembling the pieces needed for a regular spare tire in a 69 fastback I'm interested in "stock look"
But I don't plan on using unless its a front tire flat as I'm running a trac-lok Posi with 255/60/15 tires
I have a 14' x's 6" rim and the original jack that I'm wanting to use but I'm not sure of what tire size will fit.
Any one know of what tire size I should be looking for? and what length J-Hook I will need??
Also should it have a spare wheel mounting plate and/or should it have a felt pad or a cover?
Appreciate your help

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that Great, Many Thanks Brian for the details, I assume your using the plywood to keep a good looking display
Out of curiosity orginally from the Factory I assume the jack and handle sat against the wheel??

·
Premium Member
8,235 Posts
If your car has the application for one, the spare tire / jacking instruction label on the trunk lid shows the orientation for your car.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Was thinking of this myself
I had 225 60 14 for decades and it easily fit.

Last month I went to 215 70 14
And I can't get the tire in there for anything

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the information, So it looks like for a 69 fastback I will need a 225 60 14 to be safe?
I just noticed the 215 70 is 25.9" tall and the 225 60 is 24.6" is tall, so it might be helpful to consider the difference could come from any mods made to the trunk area like,
Welding in of Trunk floor,wheels wells, the tail light protector and/or placement of the hook bolt bracket.itself all could make a difference?
I wonder if both examples given were unmolested cars??
But now I have a pretty good starting point
Many Thanks

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Not sure what's going on.
F70 14 which was the original size is today's 215 70 equivalent

Car also had 15" wheel option.

Car was not modded.

Can't get it in any further and jack don't fit

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think the 15 inch wheeled bosses and the like had space saver spares with a can of inflation air
My Magnum 500 wheels with a 225 70 15 will not fit in my 69
I carry a space saver out of a crown vic
Here is a picture

1 - 15 of 15 Posts