Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New to the forum. I have a T-5 trans in a 66 Mustang. I have been having issues with shifting. I am looking for a someone in the Chicago South Suburbs that works on T-5 Transmissions. Please email me [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
Before blaming the transmission, you need to eliminate the clutch as the issue. If the clutch does not fully disengage when you depress the clutch pedal, then a symptom is problems with shifting. This is caused because the internals of the transmission never stop spinning. How close to the floor is the clutch pedal when the transmission starts engaging? It should not start engaging too close to the floor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before blaming the transmission, you need to eliminate the clutch as the issue. If the clutch does not fully disengage when you depress the clutch pedal, then a symptom is problems with shifting. This is caused because the internals of the transmission never stop spinning. How close to the floor is the clutch pedal when the transmission starts engaging? It should not start engaging too close to the floor.
Thank you for replying Rufus68.
I have a hydraulic TOB. When I press the clutch pedal, it's like I'm lifting weights. I have never seen that pedal go to the ground.I wouldnt even know how to tell if it is disengaging. But even when the car is not on and I try pressing the pedal and shifting, I still have problems. It doesn't shift smooth at all. On many occasions, I just have trouble going from neutral to first gear at stoplight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
I still have problems. It doesn't shift smooth at all. On many occasions, I just have trouble going from neutral to first gear at stoplight.

It sounds like your clutch isn't adjusted properly. You most likely aren't getting a full release when depressing the pedal.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You should definitely look into your clutch first. Start with the clutch pedal under the dash. Look at the shaft and the pedal bracket. Verify that the hole in the pedal bracket looks round and in good condition. I once had one where the bushing had long before deteriorated and the pedal wore the bracket hole into an oval. If everything under the dash is fine, then check the fluid level in your clutch master cylinder. If it is low, then you have a leak somewhere. Since you have a hydraulic throw out bearing, then to check it you will have to remove the transmission. My experience has been a soft pedal when the hydraulics have failed. Since your pedal pressure is so heavy it sounds like you either have binding somewhere or you have a really heavy spring in your pressure plate.

Basically, you need to get your clutch working smoothly before you blame the shifting issues on your transmission. You should be able to depress your clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

As a note, my truck also has a hydraulic throw out bearing and it does not have any adjustment for the clutch pedal. So I don't know if you have any adjustment point in your clutch pedal system or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should definitely look into your clutch first. Start with the clutch pedal under the dash. Look at the shaft and the pedal bracket. Verify that the hole in the pedal bracket looks round and in good condition. I once had one where the bushing had long before deteriorated and the pedal wore the bracket hole into an oval. If everything under the dash is fine, then check the fluid level in your clutch master cylinder. If it is low, then you have a leak somewhere. Since you have a hydraulic throw out bearing, then to check it you will have to remove the transmission. My experience has been a soft pedal when the hydraulics have failed. Since your pedal pressure is so heavy it sounds like you either have binding somewhere or you have a really heavy spring in your pressure plate.

Basically, you need to get your clutch working smoothly before you blame the shifting issues on your transmission. You should be able to depress your clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

As a note, my truck also has a hydraulic throw out bearing and it does not have any adjustment for the clutch pedal. So I don't know if you have any adjustment point in your clutch pedal system or not.
Thank you. I will try to get up under there in the next couple of days. If I have to take out the trans, I'm just gonna go with a slave cylinder since I'm halfway set up for it. I'll keep you posted

1 - 7 of 7 Posts