Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys - I finally got hosed on ebay. I purchased, what was over advertised as an 8" brand new Auburn posi-trac unit. after receiving the item and confirming the model # with Auburn - turns out the diff. is for an 8.8" ford. totally useless to me. I have been trying to contact this guy appx. 30 times via E-mail and have tried calling him. I got his contact info from ebay and have also submitted the fraud/safe harbor complaint and they are also pursueing the guy now also. and when i do call this guy "Frank" - I keep getting some lady's voice mail all of the time. I have left multiple messages also.

my question is this: since I paid using a credit card, should I contact Discover Card and alert them of a fraudulant sale and get my card credited my money back ?

the bad thing is that I dont have this guys address to ship the unit back to him. and he (or she) wont respond back to me in any way, shape or form...

im about at my wits end with this, as I am so pissed that this dude lied in his auction. what should I do ?? :: ::

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
Where is the guy from? Maybe someone from here could "visit" him? LOL
I would contact your cc company.
Stan

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
After you get done with the card company and see what the guy comes back with, I'd Ebay it, I bet an 8.8 will sell like hotcakes

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
contact your credit card company asap. if you used paypal, you can also file a "not as described" claim with them.
i got ripped on some "new" 300 mile take off running boards for my ranger that were filled with rust and had probably 30000 miles of use on them. the seller was a real A hole and i pushed the issue going the paypal route. they ended up refunding my purchase price plus shipping, the only hitch was i had to ship the boards back to the seller, but i was more than happy to send the seller his crap back!
Good luck
russ

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
If you paid through paypal, file with them first, even though they don't usually do much for not as described problems. But, it is better to follow their procedures in case you need something from them later.

Also, if their auction has the buyer protection policy symbol, then it's even easier to work with paypal.

If he mailed via USPS, then maybe you can file mailfraud charges with USPS as well. Why don't you have a return address?
Then file with your credit card company.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Before flaming this seller too much, it is possible that he/she didn't know a thing of Fords. A Ford guy wouldn't call it a Posi-Traction, that's GM brand name. Could be that he didn't know that there are 8.8 and 8 rears that are completely different. Was it advertised as Pro series differential because Auburn doesn't seem to make a street version for 8" differential.

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/products/differentials/default.asp?page=hps
http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/products/differentials/default.asp?page=ps

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you paid through paypal, file with them first, even though they don't usually do much for not as described problems. But, it is better to follow their procedures in case you need something from them later.

Also, if their auction has the buyer protection policy symbol, then it's even easier to work with paypal.

If he mailed via USPS, then maybe you can file mailfraud charges with USPS as well. Why don't you have a return address?
Then file with your credit card company.
I have already filed all of the claims with PayPal and eBay both. PayPal said it is a closed deal because i received the item... ???

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before flaming this seller too much, it is possible that he/she didn't know a thing of Fords. A Ford guy wouldn't call it a Posi-Traction, that's GM brand name. Could be that he didn't know that there are 8.8 and 8 rears that are completely different. Was it advertised as Pro series differential because Auburn doesn't seem to make a street version for 8" differential.
here was his auction description: (p.s. - this guy had 0 feedback also, i should have been more leary...)

"BRAND NEW NEVER INSTALLED AUBURN TRACTION LOCK DIFFERENTIAL SET UP FOR 28 SPLINE AXLES TO BE HOUSED IN AN 8" REAR. MOST COMON APPLICATIONS ARE MUSTANGS, BRONCOS AND FORD PICK UPS BUT WILL FIT IN ANY 8" REAR. I RESERVE THAT RIGHT TO CANCEL ANY BID BASED ON EBAY USER FEEDBACK. BUYER PAYS SHIPPING AND PAYMENT IS DUE 48 HRS FROM NOTIFACTION OF SHIPPING COSTS. I ACCEPT PAYPAL OR MONEY ORDERS, NO RETURNS. "

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
well.

I would call discover.

I am guessing if he used the card for the credit charge, they know more about him than you do at this point.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Thanks, that clarifies it. He is stating twice the 8" and mentions 28 spline axles, clearly 8" stuff (unless 8.8 rear has also 28 spline axles, I don't know). He sent you wrong stuff.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
just call the CC and dispute the charge and see what happens from there.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
That's alright but I wasn't a party in this one.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
That's alright but I wasn't a party in this one.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Go to your credit card company. The reason I mentioned Paypal first is that Paypal may freeze your entire account if you go through your cc company without following Ebay and Paypal procedures.

Good luck, you are on the right track.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
first off, was there a pic of the item ? if not then I wouldn't have bid at all. secondly he says " fits mustangs, broncos and ford pickups" ??? that would have raised a big flag with me as I know that broncos and trucks NEVER got 8" rears.
#1..I don't think he intentionally misrepresented the item.
#2..and no offense but I don't think you read the description very carefully(maybe you don't know what 8" rears came in ???)
#3 or(assuming there was a pic) you didn't really know the differences in appearance enough to know what you were buying.
just my .02 cents.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I disagree.

Picture or not, and whether he knew or not that Broncos and Fords did not get 8" rears - the auction expressly reads TWICE that it's an 8" rear. If it's not an 8", then the auction is a misrepresentation.

If I post an auction for a NOS Boss 302 motor, available in all 1974 Granadas, and someone buys it....and I send a stock 302 rebuild - who's at fault? Is it the buyer's fault because he/she could not see the difference or know the details ? No way. I'd be called a rotten bastard and deservedly so. This is the same situation.

Also, if this seller was half honest he/she would have anwered email and made an effort to make it right. Something stinks !

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thank you Dickson - my sentiments exactly. I have E-mailed him OVER and OVER and OVER and called OVER and OVER and OVER, to no avail. he knows what he did.... and wont fess up for it. I'm just going to call Discover tonight and talk to them about it and see what they say.

I am doubly hacked because I WAS ready to reassemble the entire rearend this weekend and HOPEFULLY take it for the first spin... but that's not going to happen now either...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts