Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s time to get the Mach inspected, but I’ve gotta do something about my seat belts before I install them. For instance, to re-dye the belt webbing black (I don’t care as much about the labels being there or not), what should I use? And what should I use to dye/paint the plastic belt retractors/hardware covers? The thing I’m most worried about most is the little ‘check’ mechanism inside the female side of the buckle. Mine seem to be a bit rusty/powdery - and if I spend the time to re-dye/paint my webbing, when I go to adjust the length of the belts, well, you know what might happen - skid marks all the way down the belt.
I understand snakeoyl does an outstanding job, but are very expenisve. So that is a last resort.
I would appreciate any advice on the materials I should use. Thanks!

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont know about the rusty check bar, but in my case, the belts were just a bit faded and the integrity of the webbing was fine so i used Rit dye on the stovetop and they came out looking great. after rinsing several times, the belts did not bleed and after 2 years, nothing has transferred to anyones clothing(whew!)
it is important to note, however, that a seat belt is your restraining system during an accident and if the webbing or latch is not in good working order, it should be replaced.
btw, you shouldve seen my wife's face when she came home and i was cookin up some SEATBELTS! mmmmmmm
mike o

[color:blue]'65 wimbledon white original coupe I6
'99 silver convertible V6

Check out Mike & Jackie's '65 Mustang </font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice fellas. I appreciate it. Chris

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
Dallas Mustang offers a reweb service for about $15 a seat. I do not trust old seat belts after 30 years due to dry rot. All my Mustang sport rewebbed belts.

Survivor of 19 car crashes and 1 helicopter crash: Seat Belt Advocate!

Bob Hendrick
[email protected] ebay +82
1514 Braeburn
Richardson TX 972 783 4731

1 - 5 of 5 Posts