Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 64.5 Convertible from my neighbor. I am 3rd owner. It has been in storage for many years.
He had it primed for paint but I can see where some rust was primed over and needs attention.
Cowls rusted out I think and that resulted in the rusted out floor panels.
I think the battery damaged some metal too and ate the plate it sat on.
Carpet needs to be replaced and seat threads are gone...

My 18 year old (has no auto repair experience at all but is extremely good at fixing anything he sets his mind to) said he would like to restore it...but I would rather take it to a shop and have them do it.
I am guessing it is going to cost about $7k to $9k - Is that a fair rough guess?
I am about 2 hours to Jacksonville, FL and about 1 hour to Savannah GA...any references for a shop in this area?

Sounds bleak...

I would REALLY appreciate any advice at all - Maybe I did not ask the right questions... ?

Thanks in advance - Patty

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Patty, welcome to the VMF. Sounds like you have a great car to start with. There is a place in Byron Ga that restores Mustangs. They are a little high in price but do great work. Go to www.mustangcentral.com and check them out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you get the car fully restored for that much...that's great! I always thought a full restore including paint, bodywork, and all the pieces...would run another 20k which includes engine rebuilds, additional parts, etc. Usually this doesn't even include the price of the car.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi Patty
welcome to the site.
I have a suggesstion, there is a place called Karmustang and they travel all over the U.S buying cars ,there may be a time they are in your area and knowing them, they would stop and look at the car and give you an idea about restoration cost right on the spot.
but then again theu may not, but nothing ventured , nothing gained.
they do a lot of restorations and may even be able to give you some advice or ideas on who to contact or maybe even a price range.
here's there web site. and ask for kevin or george.

www.karmustang.com

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Hey Patty - You've been given some good advice - there are many reputable shops in GA and north FL, but I'd like to suggest something else.

The problem with many restoration shops is that they are very expensive. You will get the results you want, but only at a very high cost. Twenty thousand would be the starting point for a rusty car. Add to that the fact that it is a convertible and the potential for more (expensive) repairs goes up. Don't dispair though, there are other alternatives.

You and your son should join a local Mustang club. For 30-50 bucks a year, you'll get access to all kinds of Mustang nuts, many of whom could not only recomend restorers, they may be restorers themselves.

I know that there are 3 shop owners in my little 150-member club alone, so, IMO, this is the best place to get hooked up with someone who can help you get your old car back on the road with the best result and lowest cost.

Again, welcome. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

·
7,051 Posts
My advice would be to sell the car, and get your money out of it.

Make contact with the local mustang club as Mr. Gem advised. Learn a few things about these cars and make contacts with a few people who know A LOT about these cars. Then, with their help, go find exactly the mustang you want or PERHAPS even a mustang a little nicer than the one you want. Negotiate for the best price and buy that car.

There is a 100% chance that it will be cheaper, in the long run, then it will be to fix up than the car you already own assuming you pay someone else to fix your 64 1/2 in the condition stated.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings...but the sad fact is it is ALWAYS cheaper to buy the car you want than buy a lesser car and fix it up to be THE CAR you want. If you don't belive me, ask my wife. She'll run you a Quicken Expense file as long as your arm in #8 font!

Phil

p.s. My car isn't THE CAR I want yet either. Do as I say...don't "Do as I have done". :p

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Patty,

The price you quoted will about take care of rust repair by a body shop. Other things you may not have noticed, or couldn't see yet are frame rails, shock towers, torque boxes, trunk floors, quarter panels, door skins, fenders, drip rails, window channels, etc. You would get it back looking a lot worse than it does now. The good news is that if your son is willing to learn, wants to acquire a lot of equipment, is mechanically inclined, and good with his hands, he can handle most of the remainng restoration with the help available on this forum. Paint and parts for the remainder would run about another $5000, depending on what he wants as an end result. Some folks on this forum have more than that in their engines alone. Good Luck in whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I've had five cars restored, all with varying degrees of rust. It does not require $20K to restore them if you find the right resource. Mine were restored by a friend who does restorations as a hobby and, with 30 years experience, he is a craftsman.

Contact the local Mustang club and see if they can steer you to that kind of resource locally. You'll likely spend $10-12K instead of $20K and that will include the interior.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts