Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install a top and rear glass window in my 67 vert from Robbins (against the advice of several on this board, and I now see why). I actually thought I was doing a pretty good job and got the tacking strips in and the top pads and it all looked like the video I have from Cal Mustang. The problem came when I tried putting the rear windo in. The staples do not want to hold in the rubber tacking strip I got from NPD. They seem to slide out of the rubber strip. It seems that the old paper strip would have held better. Has anyone else used the rubber strips from NPD, and if so, how did you get the staples to hold?

The other problem I have is when I do get the rear window in place and while the staples are holding, the crease in the window dips in ever so slightly. No matter how much I pull up on the vinyl to wrap over the #4 bow, there is a little sag in the window. Is this normal? I woul have thought it would be flush. ANY suggestions are appreciated. I am real close to giving up the fight and taking it all to the upholstery shop.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
The glass window will always have a little dip in it ! Anymore when I'm doing a top I take the rear bow to a place that does spray in bed liners and have them fill it up with what ever color they're doing at the time . Works great .

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that information! I was going nuts trying to get the thing perfectly flat. I might just keep going now and not torch the whole thing like I felt like doing a while ago. The bedliner idea sound good too.

G

·
0 Posts
I've had my 66 convert. since 1979 and had to replace the tacking strips on it back then. No one in my area had a replacement and repo's were not even thought of yet. I took old leather belts and cut them into strips the width of the bow channel. I epoxy glued the strips together with overlapping joints at each layer until I achieved the desired thickness. I have had three tops on this car since and have not had to replace the tacking strips. I probably will have to next time.

By the way, the first top I installed myself, and it was “perfect”. It was a real pain to get every ripple out and it took many adjustments and a lot...a LOT of time.

I've since had two tops installed by professionals and the quality was pretty good. Most people would be happy with a professional installation. For the amount of time and aggravation that is required to install a top correctly, by an amateur such as myself that has a high standard for quality, it has been worth ever dollar I have paid a professional to install it even though I have not been quite as satisfied as the first one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts