Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I have recently begun replacing metal on my 65, the first area being the driver floor.

The short front left panel is made by American Designer and the radii of the new panel are crap. It looks like someone bent the panel over his knee and shipped it. The pics below show what I am talking about. In the section green is current and red is replacement. The cut is made about 4 inches in front of the seat riser.

Have any of you ran across this? if so what was your solution?

New panel from another supplier?

Replace a larger section so this but joint is longer a weld area?

Scream and pull hair out (my solution thus far)

Thanks.

Jay

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p148/jjjggg111/MUSTANG/floorpan1.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p148/jjjggg111/MUSTANG/IMG_4327.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p148/jjjggg111/MUSTANG/IMG_4326.jpg

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
I would just buy a new full length floor pan and replace one complete side at a time.

Other wise, you are going to have to recurve that one to match the existing radii - by trial & error.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
You're over thinking the entire situation. Tack the panel in place and use a hammer/dolly to get the radii to match, then finish welding the panel.

FWIW, this ain't aerospace parts.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
70_Fastback, thanks. I didn't want to cut away more than I have to but this is the only floor that needs major work so that is a good course of action.

Hemikiller, these might not be aerospace parts but it is my car and I prefer to review my options and ask for some ideas before I blindly take a hammer to the sheet metal, especially since I have never done this type of repair before. Thanks for the input though, if I feel my metal bending skills are as good as yours apparently are this may be exactly what I do.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I agree with Hemikiller, but if you don't want to give that a shot, you could try this.

http://impressionsbynightmyst.com/mustang/SlotTemp.JPG

Slot the new panel as shown. Weld it shut along the short edge of the radius, then bend the rest to fit. Weld the lower radius. Grind off any excess at the slot you cut and then weld the slot shut.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks SpareTime, still not sure of my course of action yet but thanks for the info. Nice graphic BTW.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Your sketch inspired me!
I just happened to have Autodesk Inventor open on my desktop, and it just seemed to be the easiest way to get across what I was wanting to say. I figured it was the best way to combine your sketch and your photo.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I don't believe HemiKiller was trying to insult your intelligence, more likely, just trying to be funny. With this said...

+1 for....

Tack the panel in place and use a hammer/dolly to get the radii to match, then finish welding the panel.

FWIW, this ain't aerospace parts.....

Dave

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The truth is one cannot expect any replacement sheet metal to fit on these cars without massaging.

N

·
0 Posts
I would be concerned about trying to weld to that rusty metal. Before you get too froggy I would make sure you dont run into "blow through city". Just sayin'

·
Registered
719 Posts
Drill two holes near each other, put a bolt through one, tighten it to draw the metal into shape then fill the other hole with weld to hold it. Move 6 inches and do it again.

EDIT: forget that you don't have an overlap. :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good thing I don't need much metal then. I have read the threads of poor quality replacement parts, really didn't think they would be this bad though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Napaguy, just doing the cutting right now, once that is done the rust removal will commence. Thanks.

Reverb, is something you had to do?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Tack the panel in place and use a hammer/dolly to get the radii to match, then finish welding the panel. Hemikiller hit on the nail head.

As you tack weld it tap it into shape while metal is hot it will move easily . Do this about every inch or so and it should go right into place for you.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I agree with Hemi also, shouldn't be too hard to get that to line up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts