Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy new upholstery for 67 coupe, red interior. Tag on car listed as red but I am seeing dark red for that year and bright red listed for earlier year. But the red arm rest I bought is more of a maroon and not the brighter red of my seats. So I am worried about buying the correct seat upholstery. TMI's site calls the color metallic red and NPD lists it as red. Also, the TMI site lists price as approx $212 while NPD lists as approx $182. Are these the same product? Why is the TMI site more expensive than NPD? ANY advice is greatly appreciated-

·
Registered
450 Posts
67-68 red interior was more of a maroon, 65-66 was a bright red, more of a true red. TMI should be true to color if your current interior is original, but things fade over time too, you’d have to replace it all to get an exact match likely.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Also, I would think that NPD probably gets a volume discount or something similar from TMI and, at least partly, pass the savings on to their customers.

·
Registered
821 Posts
From '80s edition of the Mustang Recognition Guide put out by the editors of Mustang Monthly. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,370 Posts
Also, the TMI site lists price as approx $212 while NPD lists as approx $182. Are these the same product? Why is the TMI site more expensive than NPD?
Also, I would think that NPD probably gets a volume discount or something similar from TMI and, at least partly, pass the savings on to their customers.

TMI sells direct to the public at full retail price. They sell to NPD at wholesale price and NPD can mark it up however much they want. If TMI sold to the public at the same price they charge NPD how long do you think NPD would wait before telling TMI to put their products where the sun doesn't shine? TMI has to protect their vendors.

·
Vendor
4,098 Posts
Looking to buy new upholstery for 67 coupe, red interior. Tag on car listed as red but I am seeing dark red for that year and bright red listed for earlier year. But the red arm rest I bought is more of a maroon and not the brighter red of my seats. So I am worried about buying the correct seat upholstery. TMI's site calls the color metallic red and NPD lists it as red. Also, the TMI site lists price as approx $212 while NPD lists as approx $182. Are these the same product? Why is the TMI site more expensive than NPD? ANY advice is greatly appreciated-
When it comes to what different suppliers and manufacturers and people on the internet "call" a color, just know that it's all semantics.. Whether it's being described as "red", "dark red", "red metallic", or "bunny rabbits", none of that matters... What matters is that you're ordering 1967 upholstery/interior trim items, and everything that you order should be the CORRECT red for 1967.

Your seats should not be a bright red. And I am not privy to whom you ordered your arm rest from, or the manufacturer of the arm rest.

If you ordered the arm rest pad from us (NPD), it is manufactured by Dashes Direct, and it is a perfect match to TMI 1967 red upholstery. I've attached a photo below showing the Dashes Direct arm rest pad on top of the TMI 1967 standard upholstery.

Keep in mind that when looking at colors and photographs on a computer, that different cameras in different lighting displayed on un-calibrated/varying monitors, can COMPLETELY mislead you compared to what it looks like in real life. Often times I take a photo with my phone (as I did here), look at it on my phone, look back at what I just photographed, and shake my head and say "man, this camera just completely perverted what the color really is".

So just know that the TMI stuff is a good match to original, and that the D-D armrests and TMI match well, for 1967 red.

And yes, when our suppliers start to compete with us, or even under-cut us, that's not a symbiotic relationship. It's rare that you can ever go "direct" to a manufacture, and save anything. They honor their distributors.

Rick
NPD

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your replies. Car has been sitting in the garage for 26 years and I am ready to get it back out. Certain I will be posting lots of rookie questions!

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,654 Posts
Welcome. While most Mustang parts houses source most of their parts from the same group of manufacturers/distributors, keep in mind that quality can vary greatly and while "you get what you pay for" applies generally, even at the same price point there can be significant differences in quality. Rick (NPD) is quite knowledgeable about what he sells and often carries an item at the "bargain" end of the spectrum as well as at the "best quality" end. Thus the customer can choose the level of quality they want. Also consider that over time the source of a particular trusted brand may change and the quality may go up or down without notice resulting in last year's information no longer being useful this year. The restoration parts industry is dynamic and there are many moving parts in motion at any given point in time. Do your research and shop wisely.

Note that this crowd loves pictures so make sure to post some of your car as your project progresses.

·
Vendor
4,098 Posts
While most Mustang parts houses source most of their parts from the same group of manufacturers/distributors
I'd actually venture to say that the "similarity" of sourcing between different Mustang parts houses might be as much as 50/50... And, to me, that's a HUGE difference. Half of what you buy, you're probably not going to find the same sourcing/manufacturing at a different place.

Chassis/steering is a big one.. As is brakes. And weatherstripping, and sheet metal, brake/fuel lines, wiring, moldings is starting to get more diverse, convertible tops, chrome bumpers, locks, stripes... These are all categories where a multitude of different sources/manufacturers/options exist, and the dedication towards best-quality sourcing is what makes each parts house quite unique.

And pretty much everything that comes from Taiwan. "Mustang" is such a huge market that it's frequent for two-or-more toolings/factories in Taiwan to be competing against each other, and producing the same part at varying qualities, so it's a real "stew" that depends upon the dedication of each Mustang parts house to source SPECIFICALLY to the best-available.

One of my frequent exercises, that I do myself just out of morbid curiosity, is when potential customers email us a large shopping cart from a major competitor, and ask us if we'll "price match". Well, of course, price-matching is only a valid request if the quality/source of the parts is 100% apples/apples. So I diligently go line item by line item through the shopping cart, and run a detailed comparison. Rarely are the contents of a competitor's cart 100% the same as what we sell. So I wind up typing notes in red explaining the manufacturer and/or virtues of the part we're offering compared to the part our competitors quoted.

So I can tell you, first hand, that there's not as much commonality between Mustang parts houses as you'd think.

Rick
NPD

P.S. Jeff, please don't take this as a rebuke of your post! I just read it, and felt like elaborating.. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts