Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this woodgrain steering wheel on ebay for pretty cheap. I REALLLLY need a woodgrain wheel to complete my pony int. conversion. I saw a website that specializes in restoring these wheels and have a page that gives detailed instructions on how to restore it yourself...it seems pretty easy. Can someone tell me if in fact it is easy to restore one of these wheels (not for a concours car so it doesnt have to be perfect.) and if this wheel would be a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=580655554

by the way the website that gives the detailed resto process is http://www.comteck.com/~mustang/resto.html

'66 coupe resto in progress... IT NEVER ENDS

G

·
0 Posts
in my opinion, the cracks on that wheel are too large to repair. no matter who repairs it, the wheel will crack again and have problems in the same area.

best thing to do is buy an original with VERY small cracks or buy one totally restored.

restoring them yourself is possible, but i doubt the end result would be close to original.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Unfortunately, I agree.

Sometimes saving some money ends up costing you more in the long run. I tried to do the same thing with my 1968, and it didn't work, and I ended up buying a completed steering wheel and hub anyway... Some thing can be restored by yourself, and some things just... Can't.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so i know this one is no good... but for future references what is the largest gap that can be filled without trouble?

'66 coupe resto in progress... IT NEVER ENDS

·
Registered
239 Posts
i restored my steering wheel , although not a woodgrain wheel it came up pretty nice. I filled up all the cracks with a product called Epifill, which is a 2 pot epoxy, let it cure for about 21 days and then get the file and sandpaper out and take your time, smoothing out etc. Then undercoat the wheel in a 2 pot epiglass epoxy primer(very important). then you can apply a full gloss Epiglass 2 pot epoxy top coat of your colour choice to finish. I did mine about 2 years ago and it still looks like new.

65,289,c4,lemans red

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
You certainly can restore these wheels, but big cracks are a problem. Also, it's near impossible to replicate the fine graining that was original.
Very nice versions of these wheels are going for $400-500, last I saw. Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
408 Posts
A reproduction will be available VERY soon.

Scott
National Parts Depot
1965 Conv:Street driven concours
1966 Coupe: Daily driver and toy

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wheel only, no hardware, caps or rings. Targeted at $299.95

Scott
National Parts Depot
1965 Conv:Street driven concours
1966 Coupe: Daily driver and toy