Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Need Advice Re Cam And AOD

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  johnpro 
#1 ·
This was posted sometime back and forgot when. Anyway, have an early Ford Motorsport HO 5.0. It was rebuilt by Ford Authorized Rebuilders in about 1990. Bought it in late 90's still on pallet. It now has 14,000 miles on it. It was done with ported E7 heads, balanced, forged pistons, B303 cam, Hi volume pump. Want to put it in a 68 CV with a Lentech AOD that has a stall of 1800-2200. 3:25 9" rear. Previously, had it in a 65 GT and it ran great with a C-4 with trans-go shift kit and a 3.00 equa-lock. AC was not a prob. Problem is: am told to lose the cam, with the AOD, and I did get an Explorer cam which am told is a slug. Would rather not change it at all. Running a 600 cfm Edelbrock on a Shelby lettered Cobra style intake with Hipo exh. manifolds. Do not want to use headers-keep orig.look for insurance. Car has PS and AC. The cam, according to an article about the engine in MMonthly, in '90, said: 224 duration at .50 valvelift with 1.6 rockers, a total valve lift of .480" intake and exhaust lobe centers are 107/117 degrees. This is beyond me but post it for those who understand it.

Initially, had planned this deal with a '90 EFI setup but plan on staying with carb. I have the W-F shift rod, Lokar TV Cable, crossmember. One last question: Off hand, how much wider is AOD than the C-4. Hoping to use the Hipo H pipe?? Appreciate feedback, thank you.

#2 ·
It's a lot wider. I mean A LOT WIDER.

I'm confused about your cam deal. The AOD and your C4 have the same 1st gear. that B cam is popular among the 5.0 crowd as a good street cam. I don't know why you'd mess with it if you like the way it runs.

Phil

#3 ·
That cam with an AOD is not the best set up.I had the same set up in my sons 88GT,ported heads,intake,headers,3:73 gears,2800 stall convertor/AOD.The car just did not have the bottom end!It was great and very fast once you were rolling,the top end was awsome!I would go with alot less duration cam,maybe a Competion Cams Extreme Energy.Just my .02! Good luck!

#4 ·
To touch on something that FastE said is gearing. I'm not a 5.0 expert but everything I've read in late model Mustang mags is this. To make an AOD car run similar to a T5 with 3.25's you need to be at least 3.73 as a minimun and preferably 4:11's The stock 5.0 roller cam is a pretty decent cam in itself. The Explorer cam is designed to make a lot of low end torque to get that Explorer going from a stop.

#5 ·
I agree! The stock GT cam is a very good cam for a driver.With the gears and convertor you should have a very nice stop light to stop light car.

#6 ·
Sorry, but I totally disagree. I'm running a Lunati Bracket Master cam (basically the equivalent of the Edelbrock RPM cam) with a 3.50 9" traction-lok rear. My engine is a 289 (not a 302 ... a real 289) with 351w heads. I have beat many 302's and 351w's with T-5's at the track. My car runs consistent 14.1's at 100+ mph, run a best ET of 14.008, and high mph at 101.5 (of course I've been beat by many as well).

Now I would like to get my 60 foot times down to around 2 seconds (currently I run about a 2.2-2.4 second 60'), but that's all traction problems and not much else.

That B303 is a fairly mild cam and will do just fine with an AOD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.