Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to go with real wood veneer on the dash, door panels, consoles, etc., in my fastback and need some advice. I've been checking out what Constantine's has and noticed that they have a peel-and-stick veneer, which apparently is thinner than the regular veneer. Has anyone used this stuff, and if so, how was it? Am I better off using the regular veneer?

Also, any advice on doing this myself? I'm not afraid to tackle anything, but I sure wouldn't mind any suggestions on how to do it so I'll get a quality product. After all, this is going in Trouble. :)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The peel-and-stick is unlikely to stay "stuck" where you want it when exposed to the heat in Tuscon. You'll want to use the regular veneers and an appropriate adhesive. I have NO idea what that would be, by the way. I'd experiment with some scraps of veneer and see how the adhesives work. First one I'd try would be an industrial strength contact cement.

Here's the bad thing about Constantines - how will you ever decide what veneer to use ? They have jillions ! I must have 40 or 50 different kinds I got from them in a sampler years ago - Most are truly amazing to look at - :D

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my worry, it sounds too simple to work. I have picked out the wood I like, and there's a large supply place here in Tucson that sells veneers. I'm going there next week to take a look because something that looks good on a website might not look quite so good in person. ;)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I like to work with venners as you buy them from the furniture supply store. I like to pick my own stain and finish also. One thing I like to do with veneers is to use a good indusrtial strength spay adhesive and glue the thickest tin or aluminum foil I can find to the backside. This will prevent the veneer from cracking and separating as you cut it to the intricate designs needed for dash and console applique.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you use the raw veneer, it is best to use 'gorilla glue'. I work next to a place that does wood trim for old and new car (excellent work) most of the time they use walnut burl or Rosewood and sometimes curly maple. Gorilla glue is what they use, care must be taken when appling the glue as it tends to bleed through if too much is used, and a good vacuum press to press the veneer. The most important part is the finish because the sun tends to fade the veneer, this company uses apoxy risin. Here is their web site http://www.rau-autowood.com Bill Rau is the owner

·
Registered
71 Posts
i went to a specialty hardwood supply co in town & purchased a sheet of 10x3 ft black walnut veneer. the veneer had a thin pliable fiberboard backing so its intended application is for something other than furniture. i did the entire job for console, glovebox, gauge cluster with a metal straight edge, carpet knife & sandpaper. spray contact cement works fine so far

1 - 6 of 6 Posts