Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 65 fastback in need of much work. The guy tells me that everything is there, however, much of the front (fenders, grill, etc) is inside of the car. The interior has been gutted and placed in a safe location. According to the VIN and codes, it is a std 2+2 289 Auto, nothing fancy. It has much surface rust and some bondo work, but not sure to what extent. All the glass looks in good shape. He said the engine was rebuilt about 6 years ago and has basically been sitting there since. He restores cars for other folks, but he is not a Ford man. I have had a couple of coupes in my past, but I really want a fastback. Other than the normal prob areas, is there anything else I should be looking for? He is asking$3500. What is the normal going price for fastbacks matching this description? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Floors, frame rails front and rear, fender aprons, trunk floor, I beleive the area behind the rear window rusts on those cars. Make sure all the fastback specific stuff is there, some of it isn't reproduced. After sitting for 6 years, the engine will need another go-over just to check. TITLE is a big one. I'm sure someone will add to this list.

$3500 sounds like a bit much, I only paid $1000 for mine although it had no engine or tranny.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Chris, Guess it all depends on how much time and money you have? Sounds like a fairly major project. I'd really check it out for rust.... repairing panels is one thing, replacing them gets real spendy real fast. Check out the floor,cowl and framerails. use a screwdriver and really "poke" around.Even if the motor was rebuilt.... if its sat for 6 years,there could be issues there... Just "know" what you could be getting into so your not disappointed later.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would agree. Make sure all the fastback stuff is there. The cost of the rust repair and the special stuff will cost you more then getting a complete, more exspensive car to start with....trust me on that one......

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am reluctant to buy a project that is disassembled because it's hard to tell what's missing. IMHO a car that is not together is worth the sum of it's major useable parts and $3500 sounds high. I would think you can find a running and driving car for not much more that that and I would probably go that route. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Do not pass 'GO' and do not spend $3500 for a non-operating car. Your first clue is 'in need of much work'. Write your ideas on paper. Then do the math. Adds up, huh? Heed the advice of others and save your hard earned money.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If it was an original K motor GT with pony interior and a console maybe that might be almost a reasonable price. Several years ago I bought my 65 289 2+2 with underdash air for $4500 complete and running. The interior was good although it needed carpet. It was a little rough on the paint although I'm still running the same paint almost 10 years later(same carpet too).

I would say either he needs to come way down on his price or move on.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I just bought my 65 coupe 289 2V with a 302 a few weeks ago for 2500. I have to replace two front aprons, side floor pans, seat mounts and both rear quarters. That's about $800 in materials alone. Not to mention the new headliner, sound deadeners, which were missing, cracked kick panels and a few other things. When I say a few other things I might as well say $2500 plus a new paint job. The metal is there but it's rusted and covered up. I like a solid car. 3500 is steep in my opinion. Offer him or her 2000. If he or she doesn't like your price, say "well it's going to cost my $1000 just in parts too fix this car to be worth 3000." if they don't like it, O well, they should have taken better care of it. Keep looking. There was a 66 coupe in Virginia that I was looking at. The straight six seized up on the guy. He wanted 4500 for it. He paid 3500 for it and put 1000 dollars in it. So he wanted what he has in it. Well since it has been in his possession he locked the motor up and the car has acquired a few dents due to neglect and carelessness. I would only give him 2800. The car needs a new paint job and a new motor, 2800 + 1000 (Cheap Pain job) + 2000 (for a crate motor) +200 for dent removal. A $6000 car is a pretty nice mustang. So don't go paying too much for something that is not worth it.
Brent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts