Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine is looking at a 66 mustang convertible, the body and interior and engine are really nice but the rear frame rails, floorpans and part of the front frame rails are really rusty, what are some ballpark ideas on how much $$$ it will take to fix this rust? is it worth doing this much work to the car or is it better to just pass on the car??

thanks
scott

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Pass on the car. Rust is always worse than it initially looks.

If you have to farm out the body work then IMO he could get the car for free and still spend more $$ than if he went an found one with a nice body.

"Regular" (non-GT, non-K-code) convertibles are not hard to find so I don't see the point in dumping a bunch of money into a rusty one.

I would figure that body/paint is going to cost you somewhere around $10-15K depending on the body man. I spend over $15K having body/paint done on a 68 vert that was as you described. But it was a 428CJ car and IMO was worth it.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
What's being overlooked is what does the person want. I would not have spent the time
and money on my '68 if it wasn't a vert! I love verts! I wouldn't have bothered with,
even bought it if it was a big block rust free fastback. The idea of selling value
had nothing to do with it! On the other hand I would never recommend a vert to a person
unless he/she loves them. They are a PITA in many ways...to restore, maintain etc.
I've owned 2'56 Sunliners, '64 1/2, '65, '68 Mustang and 2 '70 Torinos...all verts.
Resale value never occurred to me. To me verts are like spouses. Why recommend
that people get married? It's not generally for practical reasons!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
+1 I agree with slim!

Also any frame rail or floor part can be fixed. It just depends on what you are willing to do or pay for.

If your friend gets a good deal the car will turn out fine.

It also depends on what he is planning to do himself and what he is planning on having a body shop do. Somewhere between $2,000 if he does everything himself, to $15,000 if he pays for everything to get rid of the rust and paint the car.

See my picture page (link in profile) to see a fair bit of rust in a convertible and how it was fixed.

John Harvey

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I ran into a youngster yesterday with a fairly decent looking '68 Coupe. At first glance, his car looked fairly presentable. I asked him about rust and he replied yes, a lot of it.

He had recently obtained a written estimate to replace the rust damaged metal (pretty much the same description as your friends '66 vert) from a local body shop.... $17k with a fresh coat of paint afterwards.

This may give you an idea of what you're in for.

Dave

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Yes, as everyone sort of led to is what are the factors?Such as cost, willingness and ability to do the work, etc. If he doesn't want to do any welding, and he will if he wants to do it right, this car could be a donor car for a non rusty I6 convert. He'd have all the parts and they bolt in. Unless he is willing to do a fair amount of work, it might be good to pass on the car depending upon what he wants.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Scott, if this person was my friend I'd ask "why are you looking at a vert?"

If what he/she is interested in getting is a Mustang, I would suggest that
even an excellent, no rust vert may not be the best answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts