Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. lve been looking for a older mustang project and ive found one locally but im unsure if its really worth what there asking. I havent seen it yet but the owner says 68 coupe, very little rust, clear title, 6 cyl, manual trans. runs good and the only issues is the brakes are out on it. Its been parked for about a month. The clutch is slipping also but is driveable. Its in gray primer right now instead of what it looks like in the pic..... Hes asking 3k for it.

If anyone can give me there quick opinion i would REALLY appreicate it !

1968 Mustang Coupe

·
Registered
810 Posts
Personally I'd crawl all over it especially underneath looking for rust. If it is clean I think $3k is reasonable,of course I'd try to get it for less.Most people will be very turned off by the bad brakes and clutch so they will pass so that can be a good bargaining tool for you.Keep in mind I'm in N.Y. (Classic Mustangs are scarcer around here these days)If I had that car and I fixed the brakes, clutch, replaced the bent rear bumper and missing hubcap and put it on my front lawn in about 1 month when people get spring fever I'd think it would bring $4500.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The pictures supplied are ok, but it's the pictures that are missing that are needed for the answer. Get a full profile of the rails, torque boxes, lower cowl, floor and trunk. Maybe you can find a VMFer to look at it with you for a case of beer???

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice.. Im gonna try and go look in the morning. I just dont wanna overpay for a 6cyl coupe. I know they usually dont go for much.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hmmmm.... My first question would be... Is this what you've Really been looking for? If so, then be very thorough on your inspection! It's very difficult to tell the true condition of this car, from these pics, however you're looking at a 6 cylinder car, that's not road worthy, for 3K. I personally would be very skeptical of this one, since by his own admissions, it appears that he has drove it, until he couldn't drive it anymore..... If you're after a 6 cylinder car, I think you can find one nicer, in this price range. Just be patient....

Just my .02 sense....

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Probably needs a clutch. Could be slipping because of a blown rear main seal - is there oil dripping from the bell housing? Figure the whole brake system needs to be redone for safety.

Figure $800 just to do the above assuming you do all the labor yourself.

Just does not pay to buy unpainted project cars unless you can do all the labor. You can get a nice driver 6 cyl coupe for less than $10K. No way you are going to get there with that car for that price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts