Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 1970 mustang grande with a 302 V8 and 3 speed manual transmission. Body is in great shape besides passenger floor pan and normal surface rust underneath. Most of the major components are already off the Motor (but are included) and it's all stock. If I buy it is would want to pull the engine out, tear it down to clean and rebuild while adding to it. Headers/full exhaust and a cam is all I am thinking of as of now. Does anyone have any advice on this? Best headers and cam? Anything else I could/should do while I have the engine out? Trying to keep the spending down to a couple grand. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah some of the engine is taken apart. It was running fine and the radiator sprung a leak and when he was tearing it down he decided he wanted to add to it so he bought new parts but never put it back together

·
Registered
20,867 Posts
What LSG said. This is my GT40P hopefully I'll be installing tomorrow. It's a 97 motor with under 40K miles. I paid $450, new flywheel, $230, new balancer, $95, used 5.0 cam $60, used Weiand Stealth, $80, Used 1.72 Crane roller rockers, $110, Melonized distributor gear, $30. Various ARP bolts for flywheel, pressure plate and other stuff ~$100. This is an example of the nickle and dime stuff that's going to add up and this is starting off with a good used long block. Forgot about new hoses, water pump, timing chain.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I recommend you get a manual or two and do some digging in to what makes the car tick.

Do some serious checking on the structure of the car. Keep in mind this is a unibody car. The welded together sheetmetal is the structure/frame/chassis. If what looks like surface rust is serious the basic structure may need extensive repair/rebuilding.

Enjoy the hobby,
Slim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts