Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
68FB have numerous dents in the roof..some as large as 4-5" round. Car has very good headdliner.
Can the headliner be removed and reinstalled? probably the original one
Will most of the dents "pop" out with a push?
Are there any reinforceing rails or roof bows up there that would prevent me from popping out the dent?
I know the headliner is on rods.
Thanks

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Byt the way..car is being readied for paint job..when sanded roof found more dents than appeared to be there..
Thanks

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Headliner can be removed but if it's the original, very probably will want to tear where it is folded over the pinchweld that the windlace is on. Time and the adhesive make it very brittle after 30 + years. The bows will come out with the headliner. Resist the temptation to remove the bows. They are different from position to position. Also note which hole the end of the bow is indexed to. No reinforcements other than at the extreme side and front/aft areas.

Doubt they will "pop" out. Typically, the best success is to apply 'up' pressure on the dent(s) from underneath and at the same time 'work the eyebrows' on the roof top. I was very successful doing that on the Hi-Po, but it was a long process. But then, I'm not a fender & body man.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Depends how deep the dents are as to what you should do, but under most circumstances I would avoid removing the headliner if at all possible. They are VERY difficult to put in. You could try a tack weld puller (this welds a small barb onto the roof, and then you pull out the dent and grind off the barb). Its impossible to say really without seeing the dents.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If the dents will come out pushing they will come out by pulling. Ever do the old toilet plunger bit? I've also recently seen a new version on the old idea. It was on either a commercial or an info-mertial. Basically you hot glue the center piece onto the dent. Then you put the other thing on that has arms out past the dent and you turn somehting and it pulls the dent up. I think it pulls off before damage. Sort of like a steeing wheel puller for dents.

Most likely with how thick the metal is on a mustang compaired to new cars. The dents even if pulled up will still not be perfect. This is a job for body filler. As long as you don't dril any holes the body filler should not be a problem.

Sounds like some previous owner liked to sit on the roof of the car.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Man I saw that commercial...wonder if it realy works. Looked like some precision dents in the car in places/like you didnt normally get.

I had a van once that got a dented rear door and used the plumbers helper trick. Worked really well except for where the body lines were. I also recently pulled out dents in my old Grand Wagoneer doors from a hit and run sideswipe-couldn't even tell where the dents were.

I used some windex (some soapy solution would do fine...) and used the plunger to pull the dent out. It did take some force but the results were great and NO disassembly required.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I had some dents in my roof repaired before my paint job. What you need to do is to find a good bodyshop.

That they do is "shrink" your roof with a torch. This stretches the metal and smoothes out the wrinkles. I wish I could have watched the bodyshop do this, but I couldn't get away from work.

There are some before/after photos on my website.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts