Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here done the AOD switch. What all is involved. According to NPD, the driveshaft needs shortened, and the exhaust needs modified (I have tri-y's) along with new crossmember, shift arm, yoke, and kickdown cable. Is there anything else, any problems anybody had. I want everything to be as quick and painless as possible that's why I'm asking.
I'd prefer to go the T-5 route but the only junkyard around with one wants $600 + trade out of a wrecked car with high miles. Thanks,
-Brian

·
Registered
657 Posts
Windsor-Fox has everything you need....but NPD has most of it cheaper. The cable is not really a kickdown and you have to get it right or you smoke the tranny. It really is a piece of cake though. It bolted right up to my Edelbrock 1406 and I just tightened it until the slack was out of it. The driveshaft is not what needs shortened. It is the yoke. The AOD yoke is about 3/4 of an inch shorter if I recall correctly. You have to trim it down inorder for it to slide into the AOD. I read somewhere that an 89 Crown Vic yoke was a near perfect replacement. I cut mine down and have some vibration. Apparently the AOD yoke is "rubberized" to absorb some vibrations or some such thing. Anyhow, I am going to try it and you might want to consider it. Everything else is pretty straight forward. Good luck and enjoy. It makes a great upgrade.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Rod is right, and the 89 Crown Vic is a perfect match for the yoke. That is what I used in mine...

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
If you use the AOD yoke, no drive shaft mods or yoke mods are required. If you use a C4 yoke, either the yoke or the drive shaft needs to be shortened.

My AOD was out of an '84 Continental, or so I'm told. I used a stock drive shaft that was behind a C4. No mods, and no vibrations.

The Tri-Y's I once tried wouldn't work with a C4, there's no way they'd have work with an AOD, but maybe it's just the crappy pair I tried. My Flowtech full length headers fit around the AOD, but just barely. I ground down the ring at the collector about 1/8" to give myself that much more clearance on the driver's side ... passenger side had pleanty of room.

·
Administrator
19,320 Posts
You'll want watch out for the AOD's from Lincoln Town Cars and SOME F150 trucks. Most of these have a tailshaft that is 1" longer than all the other AOD's. Who knows why. One of these will work just as well, but you won't be able to get away with swapping the yoke. The driveshaft will have to be shortened.
I've had some luck with swapping the throttle cables, but figure the Windsor -Fox cable into your budget. It could save you some headaches. The cable is VERY important to the operation of the tranny. If the cable is adjusted incorrectly it can and will wipe out your transmission.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts