Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Need Chassis Measurement Please

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  elcam84 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to weld in my new front frame rails and the extensions. I was hoping several people could help me verify a dimension.

Technical drawing Line Drawing Parallel Diagram

As one could observe from the Liskey drawing above is that it seems like the front frame rail extension is in-line and parallel to the rear frame rail since there's a line on the drawing connecting them. I was hoping several people could confirm this for me.

Text Line Technical drawing Parallel Drawing

I've exaggerated the angle, but I'm imagining someone could take a long straight edge and place it on the front frame rail extension and verify if it's inline with the rear frame. If it's not directly in line, what's the measurement at the red arrows?

I really appreciate it!!!

PS The reason I'm asking is when I align all the parts up on my car, it seems like the floor and firewall (both also not welded in yet) want to push the frame rail extension downward, forcing it to not be aligned with the rear frame. I also welded the frame extensions onto the framerails outside of the car so I didn't have to weld in ackward positions but not I don't have the flexibility to change to angle between the two pieces.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Blade

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but, on my 68 coupe parked in my garage, w/ half a coil cut off the front and 1 extra leaf spring added in the back - I took a 4’ carpenters level and held it along the bottom of the rocker panel and the distance at the back of the level to the bottom of the rocker when held level was 3/8”. Then I held the level on the bottom or the front frame rail extension and under the front end of the rear frame rail where the leaf spring bolt is and the distance at the back of the level to the bottom of the rear frame rail is 2”. Hope I explained that well enough.

Mike

#3 ·
Hi Mike, thanks for taking the time to take some measurements. On your 2" measurement, were you using the level as a level or a straight edge? I'm really needing a straight edge measurement, where the straight edge is held flat on the bottom of the front frame rail extension. There's no need to use the bubble for this measurement I'm needing. Thanks again!

#4 ·
ahhh... I see what you're after now - so on mine when I hold the level tight to the bottom of the front frame rail, the distance from the level to the bottom of the rear frame rail, at the point where the leaf spring bolt is, is 1". My car has new front torque boxes, front floors and front floor supports. The rear floors, rear frame rails, and rocker panels are original.

Mike

Reactions: 7T02S
#5 ·
What year? Check my build thread for a few pics and measurement complaints. I will add more info in a bit after I finish cooking dinner etc. Also not a good idea to weld the floor support to the frame rail. The floor support should be welded to the car first then you have adjustment room to square up the frame rails.

Will post numbers in a bit.

#6 ·
What year? Check my build thread for a few pics and measurement complaints. I will add more info in a bit after I finish cooking dinner etc. Also not a good idea to weld the floor support to the frame rail. The floor support should be welded to the car first then you have adjustment room to square up the frame rails.

Will post numbers in a bit.
It's a 1967.

Agreed on the welding of the extensions to the frame rails first being not the best order. Seemed like a great idea at the time, now I've just got to figure out if I can still get everything positioned properly. Will appreciate your measurements too.

#7 ·
Ok a couple numbers to start.At some point I am going to write down all the info I have compiled and make some drawings. None of the current drawings are completely correct so check several and see what others use.
Check here for some info on frame rail placement Jodaddy garage frame rails. Great info in his videos.

On the front frame rails if you hold a straightedge along the bottom of the floor support the bottom of the frame rail should be 5 5/8 from it.

Floor supports should be in the same plane as the pinch welds and pretty much parallel to them (not enough difference to notice as there is a slight taper front to rear of the pinch welds)

Inside edge of frame rails are 27.5" front and rear. If you use the drawing and make the hole centers at 30" it will not fit it is closer to the shorter numbers in the actual ford drawing.

Cross dimensions of the rear hole to the opposite side hole in the rear frame rail.... You may have to use the 68 dimensions because not all cars had the forward hole in the rear frame rail. (mine did not)

The pass side firewall to frame rail angle is pretty much right at 45*.
The drivers side is not the same. It is further forward and a different angle which I forget what it is...

You are going to have allot of issues since you prewelded them. Basically you will have to abandon the cross hole measuements because you can't make that adjustment. You will have to line up the frame rail where it needs to be according to the firewall etc.
But I can see why you wanted to preassemble them. I have spent all day doing more welds on my front floor supports and plug welding the floorpan to the vert frame rails. I hate welding upside down to start then when you are lying on the floor it's even harder to do which results in more than you want to see ugly welds often too much material on the weld cause it's hard to see and work under there. Lots of grinding...

Lots of the measurements on the 66 and 67 are the same as they didn't change the car a whole lot. Check your PMs too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.