Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched forums and all over the web looking for the same exact issue but I can't seem to find a solution. I've examined my electrical diagrams but don't know what needs to be fixed here.

My wire that powers my instrument panel is running really hot. It is marked as a resistor wire and according to my diagrams runs power straight from the ignition switch to the instrument panel. This power seems to bypass any fuses in the fuse block as it runs to the ignition switch. It is a purple wire in the cluster connector slot 11. Most of the dash instruments work, so I believe it's operating correctly, I just can't seem to find out what is going on with the wire running hot.

I thought maybe alternator or alternator regulator could be contributing but I don't believe the wire gets power from the regulator and the alternator is putting out less charge if anything to be causing this wire to run hot (at least it doesn't put out readings too high on my battery test.)

I've read that this wire is suppose to run warm being a resistance wire, but I'm afraid to let it run too hot as I just had to replace the old harness. Again, this is only happening when the engine is running which I believe is significant but not sure how it plays a role besides the alternator and regulator.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ALSO, the wire does not run hot when the cluster is unplugged from the instrument panel. Only when plugged into the instrument panel and with the engine running...

·
Registered
37,466 Posts
That's one of the side effects of a resistance wire, especially if it's a nichrome wire. To reduce the voltage the wire trades off resistance for heat. The wires inside a toaster are, typically, nichrome resistance wires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's one of the side effects of a resistance wire, especially if it's a nichrome wire. To reduce the voltage the wire trades off resistance for heat. The wires inside a toaster are, typically, nichrome resistance wires.
Best to leave as is then? or should I look at modifying the resistance? I assume there were some design plans with the expectation of that wiring running hot...

·
Registered
37,466 Posts
If it's not hot enough to melt the insulation it's fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts