Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know someone can help me here, I've seen this before but forgot the fix. Battery is full charge, when I crank the Starter Solenoid on the fender wall "clatters" but the engine doesnt turn over. When I jump the battery terminal to the S terminal, I get the same thing, clatter but no engine crank. Tried it hooked up to another car with jumper cables too and still get the clattering but no engine turn over. Help!

·
Registered
12,305 Posts
WHat if you bypass the solenoid and jump from one terminal of the solenoid to the other (I think that would work?).. If you get engine cranking, it's your solenoid..

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
It would be a good idea to check (+) connections too. A stuttering solenoid indicates insufficient voltage. While you are checking and cleaning, make sure your cables are good.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, checked gound, its good, checked positive, its good. If I jump the whole solenoid, I dont get anyting, not sure what that tells me.....

hmm

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Corrosion inside of cable's.

Flex them, if you hear a crackling sound it need replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts