Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm switching from Tri-Ys to Hi-Po manifolds because of the Power Steering addition.

I currently have a 2.25" custom dual exhaust with quiet Daily Driver (SWMBO approved) mufflers. I would like to keep the intermittant pipe, mufflers, tail pipe, and GT trumpets I currently have, but the exhaust shop says he may have a tough time finding the flanges to fit the Hi-Po manifolds and will charge $150 to build and install down pipes and H pipe to existing exhaust system.

I thought about replacing the entire system with a "correct" bolt in system, but it would run $350+ with hangers.

I also thought about buying a Hi-Po H-pipe from a local vendor (Dallas Mustang carries them for $69, but is out of stock) and have the exhaust shop mate the Hi-Po H-pipe to the existing system. This way I would be able to drive to the exhaust shop with at least an H-pipe so I don't damage something driving with the open mainfolds. If I go this route I'll need to find a vendor that has the H-pipe in stock and who can get it to me by Monday.

What do you think about the Hi-Po manifolds dumping into a 2" Hi-Po H-pipe connected to a 2.25" intermittant pipe, muffler, tail pipe, then necking down to the GT trumpets?

Advice, comments?
Thanks

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you are just getting rid of the tri-y's because of the power steering why don't you go and buy a power steering drop bracket? IIRC they are about $15 and will save you a lot of headaches. I suspect you are switching for other reasons. In that case I would just let your exhaust guy fab up the connection. Once you factor in all the costs $69 for the pre-maid h-pipe and then the cost for the exhaust guy to put it on I would bet you would be at about the same $$$.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm changing to manifolds because this is my daily driver and I need the power steering system to be as reliable as possible (I don't want the heat and clearance issues with the headers.) Also the car is lowered 1.5" and I don't want to take the chance of damaging the p/s ram or hoses on a speed bump because of the lowering bracket. And I've heard of some people having trouble with the lowering bracket tearing out of the frame rail.

Thanks for your input.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
"And I've heard of some people having trouble with the lowering bracket tearing out of the frame rail. " ... *LOL* ... Been there, done that.

I've had the lowering bracket tear off once, and brake in half once on my daughter's '69. This, however, doesn't stop us from running the full length headers on that car, despite it being her daily driver.

I would have concerns with going to a 2" pipe, up to a 2.25" pipe, then back down to a 1 5/8" in GT trumpet. That, IMHO, is not a very well flowing system. I'd go 2" all the way back to the tips, or 2.25" all the way back, but would not go bigger, before going smaller.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The problem with using a stock "H" pipe for you is it may not match well with the other parts of your custom exhaust. I'd just take it to the muffler man and tell him what I need done.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Get an H-pipe made up with 2.25" tubing.....and have him flange the h-pipe assembly for tranny service purposes.

use your current mufflers

carry the 2.25" all the way back until your trumpets....

the smaller trumpets will choke down your exhaust noise levels
and flow decent enough no to affect performance.

good luck

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've always found it best to let the muffer man take care of stuff like this. If you've got a good one, They can make about anything. I'm with the other posters re: keeping it one diameter all the way back.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where have you gotten your work done, everyone I've called near me is really expensive. There is a place in Mesquite I've used that has good prices, but that is a long drive with open manifolds and a tow truck or truck and trailer rental would run $100+

1 - 8 of 8 Posts