Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to install a dual exhaust system on a 68 Mustang. My motor is a 347 Stroker with JBA Headers and I want this car to be a daily driver and also enjoy driving on long drives of 400 miles/day for 10 days. Would like to keep the headers but willing to go stock if that will dramatically quite down. All comments appreciated. Already added alot of sound deadener...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Are you looking for a bolt in solution? Not understanding why you couldn’t keep the headers, or why you have to go to a completely stock exhaust.

Any competent exhaust shop could build you an exhaust from the header back with a generic turbo muffler to keep things quiet. Heck, you could get resonators added to the system for even more sound attenuation.

Or, get the bolt in exhaust from jba that fits those headers, pick up generic turbo muffs that match the size of the mufflers that come with the jba kit. Bolt it all in, sell the jba muffs to recoup some $$

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Reactions: dm289

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I would fail to see any reason to run stock manifolds on a 347, since that is more counter productive than anything. For a nice mellow but still audible exhaust I suggest Dynomax SuperTurbo mufflers with full tail pipes exiting out the rear. Really almost any turbo style muffler will do, but make sure it is one with packing material. Pypes is offering one that looks nice now. Or even Hush Thrush. I have Dynomax on my 65 and really like it, no droning but a nice classic growl when accelerating and a nice burble at idle. Occasionally I do miss my old Ultraflows. I would find a local independent exhaust shop in you area and have them make a system.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
JBA makes a nice exhaust kit. If you want a quiet rumble, replace the mufflers with DynoMax Super Turbos...

This is the direct replacement for the JBA mufflers in my kit. Dynomax Performance 17733 Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers | Summit Racing The JBA mufflers were too loud for me, so this was a direct swap. Work has stalled on my car due to life, so I can’t speak to how it sounds yet.

Rusty

·
Registered
891 Posts
Don’t do flow masters that will create a drone at any volume
I’d do some mid length headers
H pipe if you like a old school v8 or x pipe if you like the trans am style v8
For mufflers I use black widow but they are loud so maybe some spin techs or Borlas

·
Premium Member
14,439 Posts
I put Borla’s on my ‘66 GT350H w/ vintage Paxton.

They were pretty loud, actually brutally loud, so I used to do my high speed driving at night outside of Austin, west of Dripping Springs.

At one meeting of the Mustang Owners Club of Austin (MOCA) one of the members came up to me and asked if I owned a Black & Gold GT350H. When I answered in the affirmative he requested that I do my midnight driving elsewhere as I was keeping his milk cows from getting enough sleep & milk production was down 40+%.

The switch to a MagnaFlow system, (still plenty loud), kept everyone happy including the cows.

Z

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
A transmission with overdrive will help on the highway, T5 or AOD, etc, by lowering the RPMs. What transmission do you have now?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts