Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new scott drake export brace in today and am going to install it this week but have a couple questions.I am assuming it mounts on the top side of the cowl and not the underneath side like the original cowl braces are now?
Also do I have to have the extra angle iron piece to strengthen the cowl and if so where does it mount and could I make my own if its needed?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yes it mounts ontop of the cowl.

You dont need the extra brace support its optional but i believe it welds in under the cowl so it goes brace>cowl>support

I heard jacking up the car lets the shock towers sag making it easier to install. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
install

We did so many of these- there is an easy and hard way. So far. we found any other method other than what we were doing was the hard way!
1. Jack it up using the brace behind the oil pan until the wheels are hanging. (NOT the oil pan)
2. Remove shock tower caps and old braces.
3. Set brace over 2 shock tower bolts and just put nuts back on to hold it for now- loosely.
4. Get 12"-15" threaded rod and place thru 1 hole in cowl (with nut on bottom) and corresponding hole in brace and start tightening the nut on top.
The brace will slowly align itself with the other 3 holes and drop bolts in place w/ loose nuts for now.
5. remove shock tower nuts, replace tower and bolt shock in and tighten nuts.
6. Tighted cowl nuts and you should be done.
Even if inner fenders are slightly compressed inwards, this usually works to pull brace into correct position. We did have 1 69 428 car the needed 5 guys hanging on the fenders and a port-a-power spreading the towers.
Using the welded in brace as Shelby did isn't that necessary unless you're going to be really driving hard on race courses. Never had 1 early car come in that required that much work!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I bought the NPD reinforcement with the SD export brace. It looks like angle iron- BUT it has a slight bend to it; so I am not sure I could make one, or if my part is defective. Original bolts would work with the export brace alone but not long enough for the reinforcement too.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Dzahm,

The bend is normal. The reinforcement goes on top of the edge of the cowl.

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
Here's a good look:

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts